Who is the McNair Scholar?
The McNair Scholar is an eligible undergraduate with a record of academic success who plans to attend graduate school. Scholars uphold the spirit of the program's namesake: Dr. Ronald E. McNair, the African-American scientist and astronaut whose life and career were cut tragically short in the 1986 Space Shuttle Challenger explosion.
What is the McNair Scholars Program?
The McNair Scholars Program is a comprehensive, two-year program structured to prepare undergraduates for successful careers as graduate students, professors, and professional researchers.
How do McNair Scholars benefit from the program?
McNair Scholars' experiences strengthen their graduate applications and prepares them to succeed in the graduate school of their choice. Scholars participate in social and cultural activities to gain a better understanding of academia. They also form a learning community of like-minded Scholars to support higher academic achievement.
McNair Scholars benefit from a wide range of services, including:
- Assistance with undergraduate progress
- Technology access and assistance
- GRE prep and testing fee assistance
- Graduate school search and application assistance
- Graduate school application fee waivers
- Introduction to resources for financing graduate school
- Offsetting expenses for conferences and school visits
- Special fellowship opportunities