Hale Library is an award-winning, 400,000-square-foot structure that looms large over all other campus buildings. Centrally located in the heart of campus, Hale features more than 100 computer terminals and academic resources like a microform collection, government documents, interlibrary services, reference desk and reserves collection. A 24-hour study area is located on the first floor, and coffee and snacks are available at Einstein Bros. Bagels.
- Help Desk, IT, 214 Hale Library, firstname.lastname@example.org, 532-7722, fax 532-6779
- Information Security and Compliance, 9 Hale Library, email@example.com
- Information Technology Assistance Center - iTAC, 214 Hale Library, firstname.lastname@example.org, 532-4918, fax 532-3199
- Libraries, K-State, Hale Library, email@example.com, 532-3014, fax 532-7415
- Movies on the Grass Film Series, Hale Library, firstname.lastname@example.org, 532-7436, fax 532-6144
Hale's architectural design features a seven-arch loggia entrance and finial-topped towers rising six and seven stories high. Interior design features include oak hardwood floors, brass handrails, sculpted metal banisters, carved and etched limestone facings, and door ornamentations depicting native Kansas plants and wildlife. The original library, named Farrell Library in honor of Francis David Farrell, the university’s eighth president (1925-1943), was completed in 1927, making it the first building on campus devoted solely to housing the library. A second addition to the southwest was completed in 1970.
Growth of collections and services, combined with a severe reduction in quality student space, led to the need for further expansion. With dwindling state resources for construction projects, three components came together to fund the project: a federal windfall of funds to the state allowing Governor Joan Finney to allocate $18 million; K-State students passed a referendum to provide $5 million; and Joe and Joyce Hale, impressed with the financial commitment by the students, came forward with $5 million. Dedicated in 1997, the building was named Hale Library in their honor. To acknowledge the importance of the original library and its namesake, the 1927 structure retains the designation of “Historic Farrell Library,” and the main entry to Hale is known as the Farrell Entrance.