Anderson Hall

Photograph of Anderson Hall

Show Anderson Hall on campus map
Interactive campus map

Commonly called the Main College Building, Anderson Hall houses the Office of the President, Office of Admissions and other administrative offices.

Building offices

History

Built in 1879, Anderson Hall is one of the oldest buildings on campus and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Originally known as the Practical Agriculture Building, Anderson Hall housed a canteen, barbershop and chapel until the 1920s. In 1965 the installation of an electrically operated 98-bell carillon in the Anderson Hall Tower allowed chimes to play each hour. In 1993 lightning struck the tower and caused $1.2 million in damages. The building name honors John Alexander Anderson, who served as the school's second president from 1873 to 1879.