We are now accepting applications for Spring 2015.
Students will enroll in EDCEP 311, section E (Interaction and Guidance for the Paraprofessional) for WellCAT Ambassadors program. This 0-3 credit hour academic course is to prepare students to be peer educators through discussions, lectures, readings and interactive exercises. Students may choose whether to enroll in this course for 0-3 elective credits and the course grading scale will be weighted accordingly.
This course is intended as an academic exploration of social health and wellness concerns pertinent to the college student population. This course seeks to develop the peer educator's knowledge of nutrition and fitness, drugs and alcohol, sexual health, time management, stress and sleep. In addition, it will focus on learning presentation and program development skills, as well as its emphasis on different dimensions of wellness. Students are expected to assume roles of responsibility and leadership in supporting and empowering fellow K-State students to make informed healthy decisions. Students will demonstrate high standards for academic accomplishment and presume knowledge of and respect for K-State University resources, policies and procedures. These ambassadors will have the opportunity to learn about a variety of health topics pertinent to college students and will gain skills in:
1. Peer education through the use of a nationally recognized program curriculum
2. First aid and CPR
3. Health areas: nutrition and body image, alcohol and other drugs, mental health, sleep and stress management
4. Public health leadership skills, public speaking and program facilitation
To participate in the WellCAT Ambassadors program, the student:
- Must commit at least two consecutive semesters (i.e. fall & spring).
- Complete a WellCAT Ambassadors application and an interview with the course instructors.
- Enroll in EDCEP 311, section E (Interaction and Guidance for the Paraprofessional) for WellCAT Ambassadors program. This 0-3 credit hour academic course is to prepare students to be peer educators through discussions, lectures, readings and interactive exercises.
- In the 2nd semester following course completion, peer educators must complete 10 hours of volunteer service. Volunteer hours can be completed through health promotion programs, presentations, and meetings.
- NO prerequisites or previous experiences are required for applying to WellCAT Ambassadors program.