For appointments or information, call 785.532.6544
- Allergy clinic provides
services for students requiring allergy immunotherapy.
- Immunization clinic offers a variety of
immunizations, including TB testing, meningitis, and influenza vaccination.
- Travel clinic provides travel consults that include information about health risks and suggested preventative measures based on current reports.
General medical clinic
Same day care is available on a limited basis. Patients without an appointment will initially be screened by a healthcare professional to determine the urgency of their need for care. They may be put in to see a provider that day or at the next available appointment.
Without an appointment, the wait time may be lengthy and is dependent on the number of patients waiting to be seen and the severity of their condition. To avoid a potentially lengthy wait time, please call ahead (785.532.6544).
The medical clinic is open to treat general medical problems, such as, but not limited to, the following:
- cuts and minor burns
- breaks and sprains
- earaches, fever, colds and flu
- vomiting and diarrhea
- abdominal pain
- insect bites and rashes
- respiratory symptoms
- athletic physicals
- pre-liminary exams/testing
Health information management
Mary Sue Moore, RHIA, Director, Privacy Officer
The primary responsibility of Lafene Health Center is to provide medical care for the sick and injured students of Kansas State University and health and wellness programs aimed at prevention of disease and injury. The Health Information Management department is organized to be responsible for the completeness, accuracy and availability of the medical records at all times and especially when needed in future illness of the patient.
Julie Gibbs, M.P.H., DirectorThe mission of the Health Promotion department is to provide leadership in health maintenance (wellness) promotion and disease/illness prevention for the Kansas State University students, staff, faculty, and surrounding community members.
- individual consultations: KISS, CPR and first aid
- health resource center:
bulletin boards, faq's, listservs, twitter, brochures/pamphlets, internet resources
- college courses for credit: Healthful & Safe College Life, Interaction and Guidance for the Paraprofessional
- peer health education: WellCAT Ambassadors
- presentations on health topics: presentation request form
- student learning objectives & assessment plan
- Frequently requested information:
Nancy Hardy, MT, ASCP, Director
Lafene has registered Medical Technologists on staff to collect and perform laboratory testing.
Testing may be ordered by Lafene health care providers or your hometown doctor.
- Reasons to use Lafene's lab services:
- Testing costs are lower or competitive with other laboratories.
- Professional and courteous service.
- Any student who has paid the health fee is eligible for lab services.
- The Laboratory is open during Lafene Health Center hours. No appointments are required. Provider requisition required.
- The Laboratory maintains CLIA accreditation (Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments).
Dianna Schalles, M.S, R.D., L.D.
College can be a difficult time to eat right. Nutrition counseling at Lafene Health Center can help!
Physical therapy/Rehabilitation Services
Brandon Ness, PT, DPT, CSCS
Jeff Kreuser, ATC, MS -Certified Athletic Trainer, Director
The physical therapy/athletic training staff have experience treating a wide spectrum of ailments and injuries common to college students.
- Services available:
- Physical therapy evaluation and treatment of musculoskeletal and neurological conditions
- Functioning testing, strength assessment, proprioceptive/kinesthetic testing, KT-1000 arthrometer
- Therapeutic exercise
- Manual therapy
- Post surgical rehabilitation
- Sport-specific training
- Vestibular and concussion rehabilitation
- Therapeutic modalities: heat, cryotherapy, ultrasound, phonophoresis, iontophoresis, electrical stimulation, interferential current, TENS application
- Orthotic fabrication/fitting and footwear recommendations
- Body Composition Testing
- Crutches (return crutches to this department)
Patricia Bidwell, ARRT (R) (M)
The Radiology staff provide plain film x-ray services with interpretation by radiologist. The department also performs electrocardiograms with off-site interpretation. Lafene has registered Radiology Technologists on staff to perform these services. Exams may be ordered by Lafene health care providers or your hometown doctor.
- Reasons to use Lafene's radiology services:
- Procedure costs are lower or competitive with other imaging centers.
- Any student who has paid the health fee is eligible for services.
- The department is open during Lafene Health Center hours. No appointments are required. Provider requisition required.
- The radiology staff maintains ARRT accreditation (American Registry of Radiologic Technologists).
Eriksen Sports Medicine Clinic
- Performs evaluation and treatment of sports related injuries and medical conditions, to include information and advice on injury prevention, fitness, and effects of exercise on health and disease.
- Provides athletic training services for students at the Recreation Complex in conjunction with Lafene's Physical Therapy department and K-State Recreational Services.
Travel consults are available by appointment. These include information about health risks and suggested preventative measures based on current reports.
Wendy Blank, D.O. , Director
Amanda Garman, APRN, NP-C
Melinda Bowen, RN, Women's Clinic Coordinator (not pictured)
The Women's Clinic is staffed by skilled nurses, a nurse practitioner, and a board certified gynecologist. The Clinic is designed to serve K-State students in areas of medical and psychosocial aspects of human sexuality. Confidential counseling and education regarding contraceptive options and sexually transmitted diseases are available.