Patient Rights & Responsibilities
When you come to Lafene Health Center and place yourself under the care of one of our medical professionals, you are eliciting certain expectations and responsibilities, both on your part and on our part.
- The health fee you pay as a part of your tuition helps maintain the Health Center, keeping it accessible and available to all students. Payment of the fee allows you unlimited office visits for the semester with Health Center medical professionals, during regular clinic hours, at no charge.
- The healthcare provider may need to order laboratory tests, x-rays, medications, treatments or other procedures to assist in your care. You will be charged a fee, customarily much less than you would have to pay in the general community.
- If you have health insurance coverage, we will process your claim for you. We are also able to submit claims for medications for a limited number of insurance plans.
- TO ASK QUESTIONS IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND, OR NEED FURTHER EXPLANATION.
- To provide accurate and complete information about matters relating to your health and to report unexpected changes in your health condition.
- To follow your medical provider's recommendations.
- To be on time for your appointments or cancel in advance.
- To be considerate of the rights of others, including other patients and Health Center personnel.
- To pay any outstanding charges in a timely manner.
- To care for your illness or injury to the best of our abilities and resources.
- To provide prompt and easily understandable answers and explanations to your questions.
- To treat you with respect and courtesy.
- To refer you to another healthcare provider or facility in a timely manner, if necessary.
- To provide you with the identity and professional status of your healthcare provider.
- To allow you to examine and provide you with an explanation of your bill for services.
- To maintain the privacy of your health information--read our Notice of Privacy Practices
- To provide you with an opportunity to express a comment or complaint about services provided and the charges for them and to expect a fair review and consideration of your concern.
We are glad to be here for you when you need us and we will do everything we can to provide you with quality care.
This list is not all-inclusive. For more information regarding your rights and responsibilities and how to bring concern to our attention, see the Center's Notice of Privacy Practices or ask at the patient registration counter.
- Through the patient satisfaction survey conducted once each semester
- Through written communication with a Lafene Health Center staff member, or the Office of the Director of the Health Center
- Call Lafene Health Center, 785.532.6544, and ask to speak with the Associate Clinical Director/Quality Assurance Coordinator
- Through the University’s Student Grievance Procedures outlined in the University Student Handbook