Contraception: Options and Obtaining
An appointment can be made by:
- Calling Lafene at 785.532.6544 or coming to Lafene during hours of operation to schedule a future appointment.
- *Note: An appointment must be made to discuss starting birth control or reviewing birth control options prior to a prescription for birth control.
Confidential counseling and an educational session are offered to all students prior to obtaining a desired form of birth control. Contraceptive methods may be obtained at this visit. Some contraceptive methods can be used to skip your period. A preliminary examination is completed at the initial visit which includes: height, weight, blood pressure, a brief health history, and laboratory work when necessary. The well-woman physical examination follows which includes: breast exam, pelvic exam, pap smear (when indicated), gonorrhea and chlamydia screening when necessary. HIV testing is also available with same day results.
- Abstinence (periodic)
- Birth control patch
- Birth control pill
- Depo Provera injection
- Nexplanon™ (implantable contraceptive)
- Intrauterine device (IUD)
- Spermicide (foams, gels, creams)
- Tubal ligation (females) - not available at Lafene Health Center
- Vaginal ring
- Vasectomy (males) - not available at Lafene Health Center
Plan B emergency contraception is now available over-the-counter.
|Method||Key advantages||Key disadvantages||Effectiveness|
|Birth control patch||99%|
|Birth control pill||99% or greater when taken correctly|
(depot medroxprogesterone acetate)
|99% or greater|
|Diaphragm (with spermicide)||82-94%|
|99% or greater|
|Intrauterine device (IUD)||99% or greater|
|Spermicide (alone) (foams, gels, creams)||79-97%|
|Tubal ligation (female sterilization)||99% or greater|
|Vasectomy (male sterilization)||99% or greater|