AMERICAN FISHERIES SOCIETY
K-STATE STUDENT SUBUNIT
Section 1. NAME AND OBJECTIVES
- The name of this organization shall be the K-State Student Subunit of the American Fisheries Society, hereinafter referred to as the Student Subunit.
- The objective of the Student Subunit shall be those of the American Fisheries Society (hereinafter referred to as Society) as set forth in Article I of the Constitution, and especially, to encourage the exchange of regional fisheries and other technical information among members of the Society who belong to this Student Subunit.
- All activities of this subunit shall conform to the Society’s Constitution, Bylaws, Rules, and Policies. The student subunit shall operate under the auspices of the Kansas Chapter of the American Fisheries Society.
Section 2. MEMBERSHIP
The membership of the Student Subunit shall be composed of students who have an interest in the fisheries and related issues of importance to Kansas. In accordance with the Constitution of the Society, only society members may hold office, serve as committee chairs, or vote on Student Subunit business.
Section 3. MEETINGS
The Student Subunit shall hold at least one meeting annually at a time and place designated by the Executive Committee.
Section 4. OFFICERS
- The officers of the Student Subunit shall consist of a President (or Co-Presidents, if desired), Vice-President, Secretary-Treasurer (duties may be split between two individuals), and Historian.
- Officers shall be elected at the May meeting of the Student Subunit or by mail ballot received by members prior to the May meeting; however, terms of newly elected officers shall coincide with those of the Parent Society officers. Officers shall serve for one year; however, the Secretary-Treasurer may serve more than one term. If an office is vacated, the Executive Committee shall appoint a qualified replacement to fill the remainder of the term.
Section 5. DUTIES OF THE OFFICERS
- The President (or Co-Presidents) of the Student Subunit shall preside at all meetings, chair the Executive Committee, and make appointments.
- The Vice-President shall chair the Program Committee and shall assume the duties of the President (or Co-Presidents) if the latter is unable to act.
- The Secretary-Treasurer shall keep the official records of the Student Subunit, submit minutes of the Student Subunit meetings to the Kansas Chapter’s Secretary-Treasurer within 30 days after each meeting, disburse funds as authorized by the Executive Committee or the membership, submit a record of the receipts and disbursements at the monthly Student Subunit meeting, and discharge other duties as requested by the appropriate Society officers.
- The Historian shall document Student Subunit activities using photography and written accounts, and maintain permanent historical records of activities including dates, photographs, list of attendees, and any other applicable information for the future reference of officers, members, and other interested parties.
Section 6. EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
The Executive Committee of the Student Subunit shall consist of elected officers, and other members as may be appointed by the President (or Co-Presidents). Except for Standing Committees, these Student Subunit committees shall cease to function upon the discharge of the duties for which they were appointed or with the end of the term of the appointing officer.
Section 7. STUDENT SUBUNIT COMMITTEES
Committees and Chairs of Committees, except as listed in Sections 5 and 6 of these Bylaws, shall be appointed and charged by the President (or Co-Presidents). Except for the Standing Committees, these Student Subunit committees shall cease to function upon the discharge of the duties for which they were appointed or with the end of the term of the appointing officer.
Section 8. VOTING AND QUORUM
- All decisions at meetings are decided by a simple majority vote, except for bylaw revisions.
- A quorum at any meeting for transaction of official business shall be one-third of the Student Subunit membership, except that members present may approve a lesser number for a given meeting, if circumstances dictate.
- Unless otherwise specified in these Bylaws or the Constitution of the Society, meetings are conducted according to the latest edition of Robert’s Rules of Order.
Section 9. DUES AND FEES
The Executive Committee shall establish annual dues subject to approval of the members voting at the annual meeting.
Section 10. AMENMENT OF THE BYLAWS
- The Bylaws of the Student Subunit my be amended by a two-thirds majority approval of those members voting, provided that the notice of the proposed change(s) be given to the membership at least 30 days prior to a meeting. If voting is by mail ballot, members must be given at least 30 days to return their ballots.
- Following approval by Student Subunit membership, bylaws amendments must be submitted to the Kansas Chapter President and The Society’s Executive Director within 45 days of subunit approval of the amendments.
- Amendments of subunit bylaws must be reviewed by the Governing Board for conformity with the Society’s Constitution, Bylaws, and Rules, and do not take effect until the Executive Director has sent written notice of their approval by the Governing Board.