Application and Admission to the MS or Ph.D. Program
I. Requirements for admission
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher on a scale of 4.0 (the last 60 hours of undergraduate and/or graduate credit will be reviewed and must average 3.0 or higher).
- Combined GRE score of 1000 or better (old scoring method) or 300 (new version).
II. Application requirements
Students entering the Kinesiology graduate program must satisfy a minimum number of undergraduate competencies. These competencies are often satisfied with an undergraduate degree in kinesiology. Students without an undergraduate degree in kinesiology may be required to complete additional undergraduate coursework. The online application file must be completed before the application can be reviewed by the Graduate Faculty for admission. The following items constitute a complete application:
- Completed application for admission to the Graduate School (fill out online).
- Non-refundable application fee paid to Kansas State University and received by the Graduate School (pay online). Domestic and international fee amounts are posted on the Graduate School's website. Note there is a different fee amount for domestic and international applicants. However, do not submit application fee until all parts of the application (except letters of recommendation) have been uploaded. Once application fee has been paid, you will not be able to upload or update any part of your application.
- GRE scores. These can be uploaded by the applicant.
- Official copy of transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work. Can be scanned and uploaded by applicant.
- Names and contact information of 3 individuals who will provide letters of recommendation. These should be current or former PhD level professors who can speak directly to the applicant's potential as a graduate student. CollegeNet will contact these individuals directly.
- Narrative Statement of Objectives (see instructions below). In your answer, please also indicate if you are interested in the exercise behavioral science emphasis or the exercise physiology emphasis.
- For applicants whose native language is not English, an official record of the TOEFL score sent directly from ETS.
- For international applicants only, a completed affidavit of financial support dated within nine months of desired entry date. Note that any substitute documentation other than the affidavit cannot be accepted.
III. Priority Deadlines
Students are considered for admission to the graduate program year round on a space available basis.
IV. Narrative Statement of Objectives
Prepare a typed narrative statement of two to three pages in length written in the style of a letter. Include the following:
- Discuss why you are interested in pursuing a master's degree or Ph. D. in kinesiology, the strengths you have at the time of application for admission, and those areas in which you would like to increase your expertise, competencies, and personal development.
- Outline your professional goals, both immediate and long-term.
- Comment on an area of emphasis in either exercise physiology or exercise behavioral science and a major professor.
- Describe the one academic experience that has meant the most to you in your educational career.
All materials should be uploaded into the online application.