Southwest Kansas Hispanic Health Needs Assessment
The purpose of this project was to document the current status of Hispanic health in Southwest Kansas and provide insight and inspiration for future programs and initiatives. Our partner communities were Garden city, Dodge City and Liberal.
Geographic location of our three partner communities
To conduct the assessment, we used the Hispanic Health Needs Assessment (HHNA) developed by the National Alliance for Hispanic Health (http://www.hispanichealth.org). This tool allows communities to self-identify critical health issues and priorities through community member surveys, aided by current statistics and community leader input. Corresponding to the Healthy People objectives (http://www.healthypeople.gov) set by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, our focus areas were health care, diabetes, heart disease and stroke, nutrition and overweight, and physical activity and fitness.
The HHNA has three parts. First, information was gathered from existing health statistics and data at the community, state and national levels. Second, structured interviews were conducted with community leaders involved with Hispanic health issues. Third, and most important, is a survey of Hispanic community members about their perceptions related to our focus areas, which included their health, neighborhoods, and access to health care.
We hope you will join us for a summary of this research presented at the American Public Health Association Conference in Denver, CO on November 10, 2010 at 4:30pm (http://apha.confex.com/apha/138am/webprogram/Session30377.html)
The results of the assessment as follows:
- Full report (bilingual)
- Dodge City (English)
- Dodge City (Spanish)
- Garden City (English)
- Garden City (Spanish)
- Liberal (English)
- Liberal (Spanish)
We thank the Sunflower Foundation for providing the funding for this project.
We also thank the following organizations, agencies and people for their service to the Hispanic community and for their contributions to the Hispanic health assessment:
- Ford County Health Department
- Finney County Health Department
- Seward County Health Department
- United Methodist Mexican-American Ministries
- Adult Learning Center at Garden City Community College
- Colvin Adult Learning Center at Seward County Community College
- Liberal Area Coalition for Families
- Kansas State University Research & Extension Southwest Area Office
- Kansas State University Research & Extension Finney County Office
- Kansas State University Research & Extension Ford County Office
- Kansas State University Research & Extension Seward County Office