Application and Admision to the Graduate Program
I. Requirements for admission
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher on a scale of 4.0 (the last 60 hours of undergraduate and/or graduate credit will be reviewed and must average 3.0 or higher).
- Combined GRE score of 1000 or better (old scoring method) or 300 (new version).
II. Application requirements
Students entering the Kinesiology graduate program must satisfy a minimum number of undergraduate competencies. These competencies are often satisfied with an undergraduate degree in kinesiology. Students without an undergraduate degree in kinesiology may be required to complete additional undergraduate coursework. A complete application file must be received by the Graduate Program Coordinator before the application can be reviewed by the Graduate Faculty for admission. The following items constitute a complete application:
- Completed application for admission to the Graduate School (fill out online). REMEMBER to sign and send the signature page, the last page of the online application, to the Program Coordinator as part of your application.
- Non-refundable application fee paid to Kansas State University and received by the Graduate School (pay online). Domestic and international fee amounts are posted on the Graduate School’s website. Note there is a different fee amount for domestic and international applicants.
- Official record of the GRE scores sent directly from the Educational Testing Service (ETS). Have scores sent to K-State #6334.
- One official copy of transcripts from all universities attended.
- Three letters of recommendation from former professors or employers that emphasize the applicant’s potential as a graduate student. Print a copy of theLetter of Recommendation form for each reference. Sign the top waiver portion before giving to them, and have them return the form by separate mail directly to the Graduate Coordinator at the address below.
- A Narrative letter describing your objectives in pursuing a master’s degree in kinesiology and plans for completion of the degree requirements. Please also indicate if you are more interested in the public health physical activity emphasis or the exercise physiology emphasis. See instructions for Narrative Statement of Objectives below.
- For applicants whose native language is not English, an official record of the TOEFL score sent directly from ETS.
- For international applicants only, a completed affidavit of financial support dated within nine months of desired entry date. Note that any substitute documentation other than the affidavit cannot be accepted.
III. DeadlinesDomestic students
There are no specific application deadlines for the graduate program. Students are admitted on a space available basis. Normally, the graduate program is limited to approximately 35 students or 4 students per faculty member. Therefore, students are strongly encouraged to apply at least one semester in advance of enrollment (e.g. Spring semester application for Fall Semester enrollment). Graduate research assistantships are awarded each semester as grant funding is received. Graduate Teaching Assistantships are normally awarded for students starting the graduate program in the Fall semester. To assure full consideration for a graduate teaching assistantship beginning in the Fall Semester, students should have all application materials in by March 1.
- 1 February – for Fall semester enrollment
- 1 August – for Spring semester enrollment
- 1 December – for Summer enrollment
IV. Narrative Statement of ObjectivesInstructions:
Prepare a typed narrative statement of two to three pages in length written in the style of a letter. Include the following:
- Discuss why you are interested in pursuing a master’s degree in kinesiology, the strengths you have at the time of application for admission, and those areas in which you would like to increase your expertise, competencies, and personal development.
- Outline your professional goals, both immediate and long-term.
- Describe those experiences that have shaped your interest in kinesiology. Comment on your present area of emphasis or preference for an area of emphasis in either exercise physiology or physical activity public health behavior.
- Describe the one academic experience that has meant the most to you in your educational career.
All materials should be sent to:
Dr. Thomas Barstow
Department of Kinesiology
Kansas State University
Manhattan, Kansas 66506