IT user groups
This is a summary of known IT support groups at Kansas State University. Send additions and changes to email@example.com.
Macintosh users: Kaw River Macintosh Users' Group (KRMUG)
- Scope. The Kaw River Macintosh Users' Group exists to instruct and inform users of Macintosh computers on software and hardware issues, as well as to provide a community for the sharing of ideas and experiences.
- Website: http://krmug.wordpress.com/
- Meetings. The Kaw River Macintosh Users' Group meets in Room 16 (lower level) of Bluemont Hall on the campus of Kansas State University on the second Saturday of each month from 10 a.m.-noon. There are no meetings in the months of June, July, and August.
- Membership. KRMUG is a recognized K-State student organization, open to the public regardless of affiliation with K-State. Annual dues are $10. KRMUG maintains a LISTSERV mailing list to aid communications among members.
- How to join/subscribe. To join the group, come to a meeting and pay your dues.
- Contact. Kent Unruh, faculty advisor, phone 532-5886, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Network users: Kaw Valley Network User Group (KawNUG)
- Scope. KawNUG is a group of professionals in the field of networking who support Novell, MS Windows-based, and Linux networks. The group has been in existence for more than 10 years and is primarily comprised of people from the Kaw River Valley in Kansas with the majority of the active membership being involved with supporting the IT needs of K-State.
- Meetings. KawNUG weekly meetings are brown-bag lunches held each Tuesday at the K-State Student Union. The meetings are informal and provide opportunities to meet with and converse with other IT support people. There are also periodic presentations and/or training sessions by various vendors.
- Membership. Free and open to anyone filling any kind of IT support role. The group also has a LISTSERV mailing list that is dedicated to the sharing of technical support information amongst the group members.
- How to join/subscribe. Use the KawNUG subscription page.
- Contact. Marin Dowlin, computer information specialist, College of Human Ecology, 532-1558.
Palm users: College of Education Palm Users Group (CPUG)
- Scope. CPUG is a support group for users of PalmOS Handheld Computers and anyone interested in handheld computing.
- Meetings. CPUG holds meetings twice a month at noon in Bluemont Hall during the regular school year. The meeting agendas include a main topic of interest and time for sharing, beaming, questions, and answers related to Palm computing.
- Membership. Free and open to anyone. There are two mailing lists.
- How to join/subscribe. To join the group, come to a meeting. It's very informal!
- The CPUG list gives information about the meetings. To subscribe to the CPUG mailing list, send e-mail to email@example.com with SUB CPUG as the subject.
- Fingertips! is a weekly mailing of Palm computer tips. If you would like to subscribe to Fingertips!, send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with SUB FINGERTIPS! as the subject.
- Related information. See The Educator's Palm website at educatorspalm.org.
Web authors: K-State Web Authors Group (KWAG)
- Scope. KWAG is a universitywide, professional organization for K-State staff, faculty, and student web authors. It is for all kinds of web developers and expertise areas, including web authors, builders, designers, programmers, and content providers.
- Website: www.k-state.edu/kwag
- Meetings. No meetings are scheduled. Join the mailing list (see below) for discussions.
- Membership. Free and open to anyone at K-State.
- How to join/subscribe. A KWAG-L mailing list provides information about resources and upcoming meetings, and is a forum where K-State web authors can ask questions and get viewpoints from other web authors. Use the KWAG subscription page.
- Related information. The KWAG website contains minutes of past meetings, a list of resources for web authors, and presentations and documents from previous meetings.