IT for Visitors
The following information is provided to any guests - visiting professors, conference attendees, and others who are here at K-State on a temporary basis. Kansas State University grants permission to guests to use portions of our campus network.
Accessing the Network
Visitors can connect to the KSU Guest wireless network at any of the wireless locations on the K-State campus.
All guests using their personal computer on our campus network must:
- Have an up-to-date antivirus program with current definitions installed on their computer.
- Have their operating system patched with the latest critical updates.
- Have their machine clean of spyware, viruses, trojans, and worms
- Have strong passwords on all accounts.
The University actively monitors the campus network for vulnerabilities and exploits. Authorized guests who connect to our network who do not have the above installed, or who have an infected or compromised computer, will be blocked from accessing the University network.
Free Antivirus Programs
If you do not have an antivirus program running on your computer, the following are two free antivirus programs available for download:
- Avast - Avast is free for home and non-commercial users and checks for updates every time you connect to the internet (or reboot if you have a cable/dsl type connection). Avast also features audio notification of virus updates and alerts in addition to displaying them in pop-up boxes.
- AVG Antivirus - AVG is free for private, non-commercial, single home computer use. Its features include automatic updates,
real-time protection, an e-mail scanner, and
free virus updates for the life of the product. http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1
Free Spyware Removal Programs
To remove spyware from your computer, try one of the following free spyware removal programs available:
- Spybot Search and Destroy - Spybot detects and removes spyware from your computer. http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html
- Ad-Aware - Ad-Aware is free for non-commercial use and provides advanced protection from spyware. http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/