Web Systems Engineer -position: W0040473
The Kansas State University Office of Mediated Education (OME) in Manhattan, KS, is seeking applications for a Web Systems Engineer. This position provides services for the application and web development teams, including capacity planning, infrastructure design, and systems/software installation and maintenance. The Web Systems Engineering team produces infrastructure to provide a reliable and stable environment for application development and deployment.
This position is eligible to promote to a Senior Web Systems Engineer.
- Administer servers including: Apache, JBoss/Tomcat, and others as needed
- Maintain identical environments on development, alpha, beta, and production servers and ensure proper operation of these systems
- Develop and maintain configuration management for infrastructure applications and configurations
- Work with developers to troubleshoot problems on servers in all environments and assist with integration of new code into production systems
- Develop and maintain tools for automation, monitoring, and capacity planning
- Manage and maintain secure infrastructure
- Research new products and technologies and recommend purchases
- Manage server logs and produce reports for application development staff or clients as appropriate
- Associate degree in computer science or closely related field. Two years' relevant experience may be substituted for a degree. (Does not replace additional experience required.)
- 2+ years' experience in systems engineering and/or administration
- Experience with dynamic/interpreted programming languages, such as Perl, Python, Ruby, or shell scripting
- Experience with automated monitoring and management of complex systems
- Familiarity with Linux/UNIX/POSIX systems tooling
- Strong programming skills with emphasis on systems and automation programming
- Strong troubleshooting/debugging skills in systems and programming environments
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering, or related field
- Experience maintaining enterprise level Java web application server
- Experience with RDBMS, JBoss, Tomcat, Samba, Apache, LDAP
- Understanding of network protocols with emphasis on those relating to web and application servers
- Familiarity with common open source web service infrastructure
- Experience with Kerberos, Active Directory, Shibboleth
- Experience using Chef, or similar configuration management tools
- Familiarity with principles of web systems capacity planning
- Experience with virtual machine technology such as VMware, Amazon EC2, Virtualbox, Xen, or similar
Salary Range: Commensurate with skills and experience
Applicants must submit:
- Cover letter reflecting how your skills meet the requirements of the position
- Names, phone numbers, and email addresses of at least three professional references
Submit application materials electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
Screening of applications begins October 27, 2014.
Questions may be directed to Viki Horan at email@example.com.
For a full listing of benefits please visit the Division of Human Resources.
Kansas State University is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background check required of successful applicant.