Systems Administrator - position: W0037324
The Kansas State University Information Technology Assistance Center, Manhattan, KS, is seeking applications for a Systems Administrator. The individual in this position will work with a team of full-time staff and students to support university computing labs, technology classrooms, and studios. Responsibilities include setup, maintenance, and administration of Windows and MacOSX based servers and desktops as well as Citrix virtual desktop infrastructure including provisioning services, XenClient, XenApp, and XenDesktop. The position also will be responsible for building, maintaining, and updating computer images for all supported environments using the technologies specified above as well as Symantec Ghost and Microsoft App-V. Expertise includes: Windows and Apple server and desktop operating systems, Microsoft Active Directory, Citrix XenDesktop, Citrix XenApp, Microsoft App-V, VMWare ESX, and PC hardware.
Server administration and support
- Serve as administrator of the central VDI environment including design, implementation, administration, and support of Citrix, Microsoft, Apple, and other servers as necessary
- Work with other IT units to design and maintain IT infrastructure needed to support the virtual desktop environment
- Provide support to other departments on campus regarding VDI as necessary
Computer Lab, Technology Classroom, and Studio administration and support
- Administration of university computing environments
- Creation of computer images for all instructional technology environments
- Work with other information technology staff to provide resolutions to issues in university computing environments
- Provide on-call support after hours for major issues affecting university computing environments
- Research and assist with purchasing decisions for equipment for university computing environments
- Assist in the writing and maintenance of documentation for university computing environments
- Provide hardware support for PCs
Maintenance and support of technology classrooms
- Assist instructors using technology classrooms in a timely manner
- Provide training as necessary for all environments
- Troubleshoot and provide rapid resolution to a variety of problems and issues in the classrooms
- Provide on-call support after hours for issues in technology classrooms
- Assist in the writing and maintenance of documentation for technology classrooms and university computing labs
Supervision of student employees
- Assist in the management of student technicians
- Assist in the recruitment, selection, orientation, and evaluation of students
- Provide hands on troubleshooting, software, and technical training to students in classroom and lab environments
- Assign tasks to student employees and supervise work
Other duties as assigned
- B.S. degree or higher in an Information Technology related field, or 5+ years of experience in an IT administration or IT support capacity
- 1+ years of experience maintaining and supporting Citrix XenDesktop, XenApp, Provisioning Services, or other comparable virtual computing environments
- 2+ years of experience with administration of Windows desktops in an Active Directory environment
- 2+ years of experience with administration of Windows servers
- 2+ years of experience with Microsoft Active Directory Administration
- 2+ years knowledge and experience with PC workstation hardware (installation, configuration, troubleshooting, repair and understanding of the relationship between the hardware and the operating system)
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Working knowledge of Group Policy
- Understanding of principles and software used to create images for workstations and Ghost server administration
- Excellent troubleshooting skills are required including the ability to think quickly in a high-pressure situation, the ability to quickly and clearly communicate verbally and in writing
- Customer service orientation toward a diverse group of users who possess varying levels of technical skills. Troubleshooting often occurs when class is in session, technical support might occur via the telephone or in person with the instructor in front of the entire class.
3+ years of experience with the following:
- maintaining and supporting Citrix XenDesktop, XenApp, Provisioning Services, or other comparable virtual computing environments
- administrating MacOSX Server, Windows in an Active Directory environment, MacOSX in an Active Directory, Windows and Macintosh servers; with Microsoft Active Directory
- knowledge and experience with PC workstation hardware (installation, configuration, troubleshooting, repair and understanding of the relationship between the hardware and the operating system)
Salary Range: $42,000 - $45,000
Applicants must submit:
- Cover letter reflecting how skills meet the requirements of the position
- Detailed resume or vitae
- Names, phone numbers, and email addresses of at least three professional references
Submit application materials electronically to email@example.com
Screening of applications begins November 18, 2013, and will continue until position is filled.
Questions may be directed to Viki Horan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For a full listing of benefits please visit http://www.k-state.edu/hr/benefits/unclass.pdf.
Kansas State University is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background check required of successful applicant.