Systems Specialist for Parking Services- position: W0038888
Come join us at one of the best kept secrets in the nation, Kansas State University!
Whether you're into college sports, fine arts, boating and fishing, or hiking on the Konza Prairie, K-State and the surrounding area offer a wide variety of experiences that are sure to pique your interest.
The Wildcats will have you bleeding purple! We consistently stay near the top of the Big 12 in Football, Men's and Women's Basketball, Baseball, Volleyball, Track and Field, Equestrian, Rowing, and a number of other sports, providing you with the opportunity to watch some of the best athletes in the world 'up close and personal'!
The Little Apple, as Manhattan is fondly called, provides annual events like 'Arts in the Park' or 'Country Stampede'. It prides itself on major attractions like the McCain Auditorium & Nichols Theatre, the Marianna Kistler Beach Museum of Art, the Manhattan Arts Center, the Strecker-Nelson Art Gallery, the Willam T. Kemper Art Gallery, and the Flint Hills Discovery Center, as well as the Columbian Theatre Museum & Art Center and the Oz Museum in nearby Wamego. If fine dining is something you enjoy, Manhattan won't disappoint. A wide variety of cuisines offered in both formal and relaxed settings will satisfy the most discriminating tastes. And, if you simply can't live without your favorite coffee house, we more than have you covered!
The culture of the Midwest, mingled with the diverse populations of nearby Ft. Riley and the university staff and students, provides a family-friendly atmosphere that can't be beat. We're friendly, honest, and fun-loving. We bleed purple, and would very much like to welcome you to our little oasis in the scenic Flint Hills if you are the successful candidate for this position.
The Systems Specialist for Parking Services in the Information Systems Office at Manhattan, Kansas, is an experienced application developer that supports Parking Services on T2 Flex. The position works with end users and management in the Parking Services office to define requirements, develop technical specifications, and determine appropriate software configuration; analyzes, develops, and tests application changes; troubleshoots production issues; and performs analysis, design, and development of systems interfaces and integrations to other K-State and third party applications.
Analysis and Design
- Meet with users and user management to define requirements and determine appropriate system configuration.
- Analyze and design system interfaces to other K-State and third party applications.
- Analyze and design specialized queries, reports, system add-ons and data migration strategies, and operational processes.
- Analyze the impact and develop strategies for applying system upgrades, fixes, and patches.
- Analyze the feasibility and impact of modifications and system enhancements.
- Participate in the planned roll-out of new applications.
- Provide technical expertise regarding the implementation and operation of systems.
- Regularly participate in project team meetings and assist in the development of project plans.
- Develop and test existing programs, write new programs, queries and reports.
- Develop and test interface and conversion programs.
- Research and troubleshoot application problems. Report, coordinate, and resolve application problems in cooperation with the vendor and other K-State technical and functional staff as appropriate.
- Document the resolution of problems, program changes, operating procedures, and technical reference materials.
- Assist in developing end-user testing scenarios.
- Enhance existing code and/or write new programs or reports per project specifications.
- Assist in developing end user testing scenarios.
- Adhere to application development policies and procedures.
- Act as the point of contact for technical questions and issues related to system implementation and operation.
- Provide routine system performance monitoring.
- Communicate and coordinate technical tasks among K-State technical and functional staff and third party vendors.
- Work with K-State technical staff to ensure proper system security, back-up, and recovery procedures.
- Provide on-call support and proactive system maintenance.
- Provides expert technical advice and consulting to end users, other K-State technical staff, and third party vendors.
- Provides training to other programmer/analysts on system changes, vendor applications, programming languages, developer tools, and technical environment.
- Attends meetings, conferences, and training sessions to increase knowledge of vendor applications, developer tools, programming languages, and technical environment.
- Maintains currency in this position.
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Computer Science, Information Systems, Software Engineering or other appropriately related technical field
- Two years' experience in systems analysis, designing, coding, testing, and maintaining enterprise software applications.
- One year's experience writing SQL
- Demonstrated ability to learn complex new information technologies through a combination of significant personal research efforts, hands-on experience, formal and informal training
- Demonstrated ability to work independently to complete assigned tasks
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Ability to multi-task and meet the needs of several people at the same time
- Ability to work effectively in a group setting and interact professionally to accomplish complex interdependent technical objectives
- Ability to gather requirements from end users
- Experience with the T2 Flex parking system
- Experience with some of the following tools and technologies:
- TOAD (Tool for Oracle Applications Developers) or SQL Developer tool
- Visual Basic
- Microsoft Access
- Crystal Reporting
- Java programming language
Commensurate with experience and skills
Applicants must submit:
- Cover letter reflecting how skills meet the requirements of the position
- Names, phone numbers, and email addresses of at least three professional references
Submit application materials electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
Screening of applications begins January 7, 2013 and will continue until positions are filled.
Kansas State University is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background check required of successful applicant.