ITS Chief Operations Officer
Kansas State University seeks nominations and applications for the position of Chief Operations Officer, Information Technology Services (ITS). Kansas State University's Information Technology Services (ITS) is committed to providing excellent IT services to the K-State community in support of the teaching, learning, research, and service missions of the university. The Office of the CIO/Vice Provost for ITS coordinates and manages ITS policy, planning, and portfolio management activities and the university information security program. The Chief Operations Officer reports to the CIO/ Vice Provost for Information Technology Services.
The Chief Operations Officer assists with policy development, project management, research, communication and outreach on a wide range of information technology services. The individual in this position coordinates project management for special projects and strategic priorities originating out of the Office of the CIO. This position is responsible for research and analysis, completion of industry and higher education surveys, local, state and federal reports, and collection, maintenance and reporting of IT metrics. The Chief Operations Officer has access to a variety of privileged information (computer security, personnel, IT incident files, etc.) and is expected to maintain confidentiality. Communication with stakeholders is an essential facet of this position.
Planning and Project Management
- Identify issues impacting the successful execution of the CIO's commitments; assist with front-line trouble-shooting and problem solving
- Collaborate with other units and campus departments to understand their respective vision and strategies.
- Collaborate with CIO and organizational leaders on planning, executing and management of ITS initiatives. Create and maintain reports and metrics on the all ITS projects and projects of stakeholders.
- Coordinate projects or commitments directly involving the CIO and direct reports including special projects initiated by the CIO.
- Guide strategic planning for ITS, create reports, white papers and/or presentations, monitor and report on progress.
Policy Analysis and Coordination
- Develops and facilitates communication on behalf of the CIO and/or research in support of these.
- Researches relevant current issues related to information technology in higher education.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients, government officials, and other constituents and use these relationships to build new business opportunities.
- Provides timely information to stakeholders on campus initiatives with an ITS component.
- Utilizes knowledge of service outage procedures and information technology security incidents, following proper protocol, to promote effective and timely communication among lead stakeholders and contact managers.
- Compiles and drafts annual reports to meet local, state and federal requirements.
- Plan, attend, and/or represent the CIO in meetings as needed.
- Prepare for and facilitate critical path CIO meetings and staff meetings which may include setting the agenda, report and follow-up on actions.
- With the ITS directors, facilitates the development of policies under the scope of the CIO and relevant to information management and information technology activities and programs.
- Guides the drafting, vetting, and approval process for information management and information technology policies including the appropriate levels of engagement, communication, and follow-through.
- Advises the CIO on emerging policy developments from federal and state legislative and regulatory entities.
- Identifies areas or issues for appropriate policy development.
- Collaborates with the campus community to effectively develop relevant policy requirements and the inclusion of appropriate industry and professional standards.
- Performs high level document research, analysis and compilation of data to include academic and technical publication reviews, formal communications and response briefs, legislative summaries, and professional presentations.
- Build key performance indicators/metrics, analyze results with CIO and organizational leaders, create and track resulting actions.
Other duties as required.
- Bachelor's degree in business, computer science, or related field
- 3-5 years of Program Management, Project Management and/or Technical Leadership experience
- 3-5 years of experience working in an environment requiring advanced use of each of the following:
- Microsoft Office or like products
- Web-based technologies
- Spreadsheet/database software
- 3-5 years of experience working in an environment requiring planning, organizing, and meeting deadlines
- Excellent written communication skills as evidenced by application materials.
- Documented evidence of working with stakeholders from diverse areas, meeting deadlines, and self-motivated.
- Advanced degree in one of the following: business, computer science, management, journalism, English composition, or a related field
- Five (5) years of experience in an IT environment
- Evidence of excellent oral communication and listening skills
- Work experience in an environment requiring strong organizational and interpersonal; skills, with the demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups
- Experience in policy analysis, legal research methods, interpretation and application of state and federal statutes
- Experience with enterprise computer/information systems, groupware products, and web development products
- Work experience that required independent decision making, analyzing complex issues, and the ability to be self-directed
Salary Range: $80,000 - $100,000
Applicants must submit:
- Cover letter reflecting how skills meet the requirements of the position
- Names, phone numbers, and email addresses of at least three professional references
Submit application materials electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
Screening of applications begins March 4, 2013, and will continue until positions are filled.
Questions may be directed to Viki Horan at email@example.com
For a full listing of benefits please visit http://www.k-state.edu/hr/benefits/unclass.pdf.
Kansas State University is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Background check required of successful applicant.