Granting preliminary privileges to new employees
Download these instructions (pdf)
Department personnel specialists may grant temporary, 30-day, employee-level privileges to employees whose information is not yet available in the Human Resource Information System (HRIS) but needs immediate access to K-State e-mail and calendar, K-State Alerts emergency notification system, and other university resources.
If 30 days is not adequate and an extension is necessary, the department personnel specialist may grant privileges again after the initial grant has expired. For example, a nine-month, temporary employee who has been terminated but will be returning after a summer break.
Once the employee's information is received in HRIS, as long as they entered their WID or SSN during eID registration, their eID will be automatically verified and they will not need to be granted privileges again or verify their eID. Verifying matches an eID with employee or student K-State records.
- The employee must first register for an eID.
- After the employee has registered for an eID, complete their appointment form and send it to the Division of Human Resources.
- Go to the KEAS Support Tools and sign in with your eID and password. If you are unable to sign in, please contact your supervisor as you may not have access to this tool.
- Click the Pre-Employee Grants link in the left side of the page or click the Grant privileges to a preliminary employee link in the HR Tools section.
- Enter the employee's eID, First name, Last name, Date of birth, Gender, and WID or SSN.
Note: If you do not have all of this information about the employee, you cannot grant privileges.
- Click the Search button to find the employee for whom you want to grant preliminary privileges.
- The search results will appear. Click the Grant privileges button. If more than one person was found that matched the information you entered about the employee, you will not be able to grant privileges. Please contact the IT Help Desk, as this employee may have more than one eID.
- On the next page, change the Expiration date of the privilege, if necessary. Privileges can only be granted for 30 days at a time.
- In the Comments about this privilege grant, type a short note about why this employee required preliminary privileges.
- Click the Add Grant button. You have now successfully granted an employee preliminary privileges.