Pidgin setup using K-State Jabber
Pidgin is a commonly used Jabber/XMPP chat client for Windows/PCs. If you have a Mac, use Adium instead. After installing, an auto-populated group called ITS will be added to your "buddy list". This includes all ITS employees that are using K-State Jabber. Additionally, you can also add any other person, ITS employee or not, to your buddy list.
- Screen name/Jabber ID: This is your K-State email, eID@ksu.edu, and your eID password. eID@k-state.edu will not work as your Jabber ID; it must be eID@ksu.edu. Also, when you change your eID password, you must update your chat client's password to connect.
- Domain/Server: The K-State Jabber server is ksu.edu.
- Port: The port for our Jabber server is 5222.
Install and Setup Pidgin
- Download and run the latest version of Pidgin from pidgin.im.
- Open Pidgin and read the Welcome screen. Click Add to begin the K-State Jabber setup process.
- Select Jabber/XMPP from the protocol list.
- On the Basic tab, enter the following information:
- Screen name: youreID@ksu.edu
- Password: your eID password
- Domain: ksu.edu