Transfer to a New School
Am I eligible to transfer?
- An exchange visitor may be eligible to transfer from one program sponsor to another if the purpose of the transfer is to complete the objective for which he or she was initially admitted to exchange visitor status. The exchange visitor must also remain within the same participant category. All J-1 students, currently in the U.S. who plan to change program sponsor must complete the transfer procedure through SEVIS. If you are currently wishing to change your participant category, you must make an appointment with an ISSS advisor.
What are the steps for transferring?
- Receive admission to another SEVIS approved institution within the U.S.
- Complete and submit the Request to Release SEVIS Record Form along with a copy of your admission letter to the new school.
- ISSS will review your request and enter the transfer release information into SEVIS.
- You should then contact your new institution about receiving a new DS-2019 form.
*By completing the Request to Release SEVIS Record Form, you are giving ISSS permission to release your SEVIS record.
What else do I need to do?
The Request to Release your SEVIS record with ISSS is only for your immigration record. There are other procedures across campus that you will still need to take care of before you leave. Below we have listed a few important procedures.
- All outstanding bills must be paid. Contact the Cashier's office with questions. The website is: http://www.k-state.edu/finsvcs/cashiers/
- You are responsible for making sure all of your classes are dropped. Contact your academic department for instructions. If you do not drop these courses, you will be billed for them and will be expected to submit payment.
- Notify Housing & Dining (or your landlord) of your plans to leave K-State. Be aware that there may be fees associated with leaving early.
- English Language Program (ELP) students must meet with an ELP Counselor for an Exit Interview.