Procedures for applying for or extending your Kansas driver's license:

In order to apply for a new Kansas Drivers License or to extend your License you must go to the Department of Motor Vehicles and present the appropriate documentation.

Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
8200 Southport Drive, Suite 105
Manhattan, KS 66502
Hours: Tuesday-Friday from 7 a.m. until 5:45 p.m.
Phone: 785-537-2140

For F-1 students – Copy of I-20, I-94, passport and Employment Authorization Document (EAD), if applicable. Students who are on post-completion OPT should indicate that and ask that the A number on the EAD be used as an alternative to the SEVIS number on the I-20 for SAVE verification.

For J-1 students and scholars – Copy of the DS-2019, I-94 and passport For H-1Bs – Copy of the I-797 (Approval Notice), I-94 and passport. If your H-1B extension is pending, then a copy of the Receipt Notice.

In addition, you will need to have proof of your local address and cash or a check to pay the fee. It is recommended that you call the DMV for an appointment so that you will not have to wait long.

If this is your first application for a Kansas driver's license, to prove residency and address you need two of the following and it must be in the applicant's name and have a Kansas residence noted:

  • Current Kansas Vehicle Registration or Vehicle Title
  • Utility Bill or equivalent electronic notice, not more than two months old
  • Mail from a financial institution (i.e. monthly bank statement)
  • Deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, residential rental/lease agreement
  • Current automobile, life or homeowners bill that includes the name and address of the applicant
  • Educational institution transcript forms or grade cards for current school year
  • Unexpired professional license issued by a government agency in the U.S.
  • W-2 Form, 1099 Form, or similar notice from employer, not more than 12 months old
  • Mail from Federal, State, County or City Government agencies

Dependents will need to follow the same procedures. In addition to sending dependent documents, you will also need to include the documents of the F-1, J-1 or H-1B. It is also recommended that the F-1, J-1 or H-1B accompany you when you to go the DMV.

Please note that F-1 & J-1 students and J-1 scholars are only eligible to obtain a license or identification card that is valid for a maximum of one year. H-1Bs are eligible to receive a license until the expiration date listed on the I-94 card. If you have an H-1B extension pending, then the license will be issued for 240 days. Renewals are possible.


Fees are subject to change, currently fees are $28 for renewals/$31 for all testing if person is under 21 years of age and $26 for renewals/$29 for all testing if person is over 21 years of age (cash or check only). Permits are $10.

Driver's License Examination (Class C)

Your initial driver's license examination is divided into three parts: vision, written, and driving. Be sure to study adequately; if you fail the written or driving exam 4 times you must wait 6 months before taking it again. To renew an expired or expiring license, you must present the required documentation, pay the applicable fees, and pass both a visionand a written exam.
  • Vision Exam: If you wear corrective lenses be sure to wear them for all parts of the examination.
  • Written Exam: The written test will ask questions over Kansas driving laws, as well as questions about the shape and meaning of road signs. To study you will need a Kansas driving handbook. You can get one at the website listed below or you can obtain one at the exam station.
  • Driving Exam: You may only take the driving test after the other tests have been passed. To complete this step, you need to bring a car (if the car is rented it must be in your name) in which to take the test.

All exams are available to take at the Department of Motor Vehicles, 8200 Southport Drive, Suite 105, Manhattan, KS.

International Driving Permit (IDP)

If you have a valid driver license from your home country and do not become a Kansas resident as defined by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), you may drive for up to one year from the date of entry stamped on your I-94. If you become a Kansas resident as determined by the DMV, you have 60 days to get a new Kansas driver's license. The Kansas DMV law states you become a Kansas resident 90 days after registering a child in school or registering a motor vehicle.

Although it is not required, you should also have an International Driving Permit (IDP). An IDP serves as an official translation of the holder's driver's license into 10 foreign languages. The purpose of an IDP is to supplement, not replace, valid government issued licenses. It serves as a translation of a driver's license and assists with understanding, but does not provide driving privileges by itself. Be wary of IDP scams. For more information on the IDP please visit:

Motorcycle License (Class M)

A person with a regular Class C license (see above) is eligible to drive a moped (scooter) whose engine capacity is 130 cubic centimeters (cc) or under. However, if the engine capacity is over 130 cc the driver must obtain a Motorcycle License (Class M). To earn your motorcycle license, you must pass a knowledge test and an on-cycle skill test. For more information on obtaining a motorcycle license please see the Kansas Motorcycle Operator Manual:


Kansas Driving Handbook:
Please note that state driving laws vary. If you plan on driving in another state, you should investigate their laws.

For more information on driving in Kansas please go to: