J-2 Work and Study

J-2 dependents are able to work while in the U.S.  However, they must be granted work authorization from USCIS.  The J-2 may begin employment only after receiving the authorization, known as the  Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

J-2 dependents are eligible to apply to USCIS for employment authorization so long as the employment is not for the purpose of supporting the J-1.  Income from the spouse's or dependent's employment may be used to support the family's customary recreational and cultural activities and related travel, among other things. Employment will not be authorized if this income is needed to support the J-1 principal alien.

Click here for more information on how to apply for work authorization.

For additional information for Dependents, click here.