1. K-State home
  2. »ISSS
  3. »For Departments
  4. »Inviting a J-1 Research Scholar or Professor

International Student and Scholar Services

How to invite a J-1 Researcher/Professor

Departments interested in inviting an international scholar must complete a Request for a DS-2019 and submit it to International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) at least 3 months prior to the program start date. Note that although you will need to obtain certain information from the Exchange Visitor, this form must be completed by the responsible person in the Department and NOT by the Exchange Visitor. Please submit a copy of the letter of invitation and verification of funding with the request for the DS-2019. The letter of invitation should detail the nature of the activity the scholar will perform, the dates the scholar will be on campus and the salary the department will pay, if any.

Verification of funding includes one or more of the following.  (Please note that a scholar will need to demonstrate that he or she will have $1200 per month.  If dependents will be joining the J-1, then he/she will need an additional $583 per month for each of the first two dependents, then $275 per month for any additional dependents.)

  1. If the department is offering a salary, then the letter of invitation will serve as verification of this funding.
  2. If Scholar/Professor is being funded by another source, e.g. their home university, then you must submit a letter from the source indicating the amount of the funding and the dates the funding will be available. The letter must be in English or translated into English but the currency need not be converted.
  3. If the K-State or other source of funding does not total the minimum amount needed (see above) then the scholar will need to demonstrate that he or she has personal funds available. Verification would include copies of bank statements showing the scholar has at least the minimum amount needed. These statements must be translated into English but the currency need not be converted.

In addition, if the Exchange Visitor is already in the U.S. as a J-1 Research Scholar or Professor then he/she must compete the Transfer In Form and submit it to ISSS.

In general all J-1 Research Scholars, Short-Term Scholars, and Professors must have a Bachelor's or higher degree. It is the responsibility of the department to ensure that all applicants meet this requirement. If you wish to bring a student who is currently in a Bachelor's program in their home country, you may be able to bring them as a J-1 Student Intern. Go to http://www.k-state.edu/isss/j-1/Jinternpage.html for eligibility requirements and the necessary forms.

Departments must notify ISSS if the Exchange Visitor's arrival date will be delayed.

Once the Exchange Visitor arrives, a Visiting Scholar Appointment Form must be completed. Go to http://www.k-state.edu/academicpersonnel/forms/contracts.htm for the form.

Contact Maria Beebe at ISSS at 532-6449 or at pappy@ksu.edu if you have questions or need additional information.