Working On-Campus

USCIS allows F-1 and J-1 students to work on campus for a maximum of 20 hours per week when school is in session. Please note that J-1 students will also need a letter from their sponsor giving permission to work on campus, if the sponsor is not Kansas State University. There is no restriction on the number of hours a student is allowed to work during the summer and other breaks, such as spring break.

Work Permits are required from ISSS. Please use the Request for Work Permit to receive an electronic copy from ISSS.

Applying for a Social Security Number

Only those eligible to work may apply for a Social Security number. This will include F-1's; J-1's, with permission from the sponsor; and J-2's with authorization from USCIS. F-2's cannot apply for a Social Security number because they are not eligible to work.

In order to apply for a Social Security number the student must:

  1. Have been offered employment.  The hiring department must complete the "Verification of Employment for Social Security".  This letter must be printed out on departmental letterhead. 
  2. Be enrolled in a full course of study.
  3. Be registered in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).  The student's record will be registered 3 to 5 business days after the student checks in with our office. 

The student will bring the Verification of Employment for Social Security letter to International Student & Scholar Services. ISSS will verify full-time enrollment by providing a Verification of Employment Eligibilty letter.

The student will then take the following documents to the Social Security Administration to apply for a Social Security number.

  1. The Verification of Employment for Social Security letter (from hiring department)
  2. The Verification of Employment Eligibility for Social Security letter (from ISSS)
  3. Your passport and I-94
  4. Your I-20 or DS-2019
  5. For J-1 students, if your sponsor is other than Kansas State University, you must bring a copy of a letter from your sponsor stating that you have permission to work.