Working On-Campus

USCIS allows F-1 and J-1 students to work on campus for a maximum of 20 hours per week when school is in session. Please note that J-1 students will also need a letter from their sponsor giving permission to work on campus, if the sponsor is not Kansas State University. There is no restriction on the number of hours a student is allowed to work during the summer and other breaks, such as spring break. 

The hiring department must submit a request to International Student & Scholar Services for an on-campus work permit. The Request for Work Permit will be returned to the hiring department and then forwarded on to Human Resources. 

Applying for a Social Security Number

Only those eligible to work may apply for a Social Security number. This will include F-1's; J-1's, with permission from the sponsor; and J-2's with permission from USCIS. F-2's cannot apply for a Social Security number because they are not eligible to work.
In order to apply for a Social Security number you must:

  1. Be enrolled in a full course of study.
  2. Have been offered employment.  The hiring department must complete the "Verification of Employment for Social Security".  This letter must be printed out on departmental letterhead.  The student then must bring that letter to International Student and Scholar Services for completion of the Verification of Employment Eligibility letter. 
  3. Have your SEVIS record registered/validated prior to applying. ISSS will do this as quickly as possible after you have Checked-In with the office.

You will then take the following documents to the Social Security Administration to apply for your number.

  1. The Verification of Employment for Social Security letter from your hiring department,
  2. The Verification of Employment Eligibility letter from ISSS,
  3. Your passport and I-94,
  4. Your I-20 or DS-2019,
  5. For J-1 students, if your sponsor is other than Kansas State University, you must bring a copy of a letter from your sponsor stating that you have permission to work.