Transfer Information for F-1 students

Transferring to Another U.S. Institution

As an F-1 visa holder, you have a SEVIS record with the U.S. federal government. Only one U.S. institution has access to your SEVIS record at any time. If you have been studying at Kansas State University or are participating in OPT recommended by ISSS and now plan to attend another U.S. educational institution, your SEVIS record must be released by the ISSS to the new institution. After the release date, the new institution will be able to issue a new I-20 for you. By completing the Request to Release SEVIS Record form, you are giving the ISSS permission to release your SEVIS record.

Transfer-Out Procedure:

  1. Receive admission to another institution within the U.S.
  2. Contact the ISSS to complete the Request to Release SEVIS Record; you will need to submit a copy of your admission letter to the new institution.
  3. ISSS will review your request and enter the transfer release information into SEVIS.
  4. You should then contact your new institution about receiving a new I-20 form.

Transferring to K-State

All students currently in F-1 status at any type of institution (high school, college, university, intensive English institute) in the U.S. who plan to transfer to Kansas State University must complete the transfer procedure through SEVIS. Complete the Transfer In form and return by fax or mail to International Student and Scholar Services at Kansas State University. 

Transfer-In Procedure:

  1. Receive admission to Kansas State University
  2. Notify your current school of your intentions to transfer.
  3. Complete Part I of the Transfer-In form (only after you have been admitted and choose to attend K-State)
  4. Have an international student advisor at your current institution complete Part II.
  5. After you and your current school have determined the date to have your SEVIS record electronically released to K-State, promptly return this form
  6. After the release date, K-State will produce an I-20 for you. Contact our office to make arrangements to receive your new I-20.