Dual Enrollment, Distance Education and Online Course Enrollment
Information on Enrollment at another SEVIS approved Institution
International students attending Kansas State University who wish to enroll part-time at another institution are required by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to maintain full-time enrollment between their attendance at K-State and the other SEVIS approved institution. F-1 and J-1 regulations define a full course of study as a minimum of 12 credit hours for undergraduates, of which at least half (6) credit hours must be taken at K-State. Graduate students must also be enrolled in at least half of their full-time course load at K-State. With approval, students are allowed to count Distance Education/Online courses (limited to 3 credits per semester), and/or courses taken at another SEVIS approved school as part of their full-time enrollment.
Note: You must maintain at least half of your credits at K-State. If you want to withdraw from a course at the other institution, you will need to be authorized by ISSS for a reduced course load prior to withdrawing.
When do I need approval for enrollment at another school?
You must receive approval for enrollment at another SEVIS approved institution if you are not enrolled full-time in courses held on-campus at K-State and want to count credits taken at another institution.
If you are enrolled full-time in courses held on-campus at K-State and now want to drop below full time. You must get approval from the ISSS in order for the courses off campus to count towards your full-time enrollment. This approval must be authorized before dropping the K-State course.
When is approval for enrollment at another school not needed?
You do not need approval to enroll at another institution if you are enrolled full-time in courses held on-site at K-State OR you are enrolling during the summer semester at another institution. However if summer is your first or final term, you must take at least 1 credit-hour on-campus at K-State.
Am I eligible to receive approval for dual enrollment at another SEVIS approved institution?
You are eligible to receive approval from the ISSS if you meet the following requirements:
- Must be in legal F-1 or J-1 status.
- Submitted a Dual Enrollment Approval form to ISSS
- Must remain on a K-State I-20 or DS-2019 during the semester for which the approval is granted.
- Must have transferred to K-State the grades or have a grade report on file with ISSS from any previous dual enrollment, distance education/online course that was part of the required minimum hours.
Note the following for Fall and Spring semesters:
- Request approval from the ISSS before the 20th day of classes, or before dropping below full time at K-State.
- You must have verification of enrollment at the other institution as stated on the Request for Dual Enrollment Approval form.
- At least half of the credits required for full-time enrollment must be on-campus at K-State. (ex. at least 6 credits for undergrad, 5 credits for graduate students without .4 or .5 assistantships or 3 credits for graduates with assistantships)
- Only 3 credit hours of distance education or online enrollment will be counted towards the full-course of study requirement
- Dual enrollment must total a full course of study according to Immigration regulations defined in the above paragraphs.
- Only courses at SEVIS approved colleges and universities can be counted towards your full-course of study.
- Complete the course on or before the end of the semester for which approval is granted.