International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) offers an orientation for dependent spouses during the Fall and Spring semesters. Dependents are encouraged to come. This program will provide information about K-State and the Manhattan community as well as various activities in which dependents can participate. It will also give them an opportunity to get acquainted with the ISSS staff as well as other husbands and wives of international students and scholars.
Dependents of K-State students, faculty and visiting scholars are invited to all the ISSS programs and events, such as Coffee Hour, participate in the Basic Language Training (BLT), and can sign up for an International Buddy. For more information on ISSS events go to Programs and Events.
World Friendship is a non-religious organization established for American and international women of Manhattan. This organization provides you with an opportunity to make new friends, improve your English, develop creative skills and share different cultures. For more information on World Friendship, visit http://www.k-state.edu/icc/WorldFriendship/worldfriendship.html.
If you would like to socialize with people from your own country, contact your International Student Association. Another student group called, the International Coordination Council (http://www.k-state.edu/icc/)acts as a facilitator among all International Student Associations, and puts together events for international programs, such as International Week in April. You are encouraged to participate in those events as well as the monthly meetings.
- Art Exhibitions of Beach Museum (http://www.k-state.edu/bma/)
- Concerts and performances of McCain Auditorium (http://www.k-state.edu/mccain/)
- The Music Department also offers concerts free of charge throughout the semester. The schedule of events can be found at http://www.k-state.edu/music/.
- Manhattan Arts Center (http://www.manhattanarts.org/) also offers concerts and performances we well as arts and crafts classes.
- The UFM Community Learning Center is another choice for arts and crafts classes. They also offer wide variety of other classes from exercise to cooking. Visit their web site for a listing off all the classes they have to offer. http://www.k-state.edu/ufm/index.htm
Employment and Study Opportunities
Employment opportunities are limited to those with J-2 visa who have been authorized permission from USCIS. Dependents with F-2 and H-4 visa status are NOT eligible to work. However, H-4 dependents are eligible to take K-State credit courses. For information on applying for J-2 work authorization, click here.
F-2 dependents are able to take classes for interest or to pursue a hobby, however they cannot take credits towards a degree program. If you would like to begin a degree program and become a full-time student at K-State, you will need to change your visa status to F-1. For additional information about changing your visa status please contact ISSS.
The UFM Community Learning Center is offers wide variety of classes from exercise to cooking and arts and crafts.Visit their web site for a listing off all the classes they have to offer. http://www.k-state.edu/ufm/index.htm
If you are interested in community activities, please go to websites City of Manhattan (http://www.ci.manhattan.ks.us/), Manhattan Public Library (http://www.manhattan.lib.ks.us/), and/or local newspaper Manhattan Mercury (http://www.themercury.com/) for more information. You can obtain flyers, leaflets, brochures, etc. if you visit Manhattan Public Library or the Manhattan Town Center.
Activities for Children
- The City of Manhattan's Parks and Recreation Department offers a variety of classes and sports for children of all ages. Their web site is located at http://www.ci.manhattan.ks.us/ParksAndRec/.
- Manhattan has a wonderful zoo to visit. The zoo offers various activities for all ages. There are classes as well as volunteer opportunities. For more information go to http://www.ci.manhattan.ks.us/SunsetZoo/.
- The Manhattan Public Library offers reading programs for children as well as adults. Getting a library card is free and so are most of programs offered. At the library you can also borrow books, music and video media for free. The web address for the library is http://www.manhattan.lib.ks.us/
- As mentioned above, the Manhattan Arts Center as well as UFM also offer classes for children. Their web sites are listed above. Check them out.