FAQs - K-State 8
- Where can I find information about the K-State 8 General Education requirements?
Background information on the development of the K-State 8 requirements and detailed information about the requirements themselves can be found at the K-State 8 website. Use the navigation menus to find what you need.
- How can I tell if a student is under the UGE or the K-State 8 general education requirements?
All students enrolling for the first time during Summer 2011 or Fall 2011 or later will be obligated to meet K-State 8 requirements.
All students still following the UGE requirements will have a "notice" in their Student Center labeled University General Education. This notice will also appear in the Student Services Center main tab and in the Student Details within the Advisor Center. Additionally, when in the DARS Request page, there is an indication to the left of the Submit Report button indicating either UGE of KSTATE8.
- If a student is currently under UGE requirements, how can I determine if a student
should follow the K-State 8 or remain with the UGE general education requirements?.
Advisors and students can run DARS reports under both the K-State 8 and UGE requirements and use these to compare the remaining requirements left unmet.
- If a student decides to switch from UGE to the K-State 8, how do I inform K-State
about the decision?
Students will need to do this through their academic advisors. Students and their advisors should determine which set of general education requirements will work best for each student. If it is deemed beneficial for the student to switch to the K-State 8, then the advisor should remove the UGE service indicator in iSIS.
- How do I, as an advisor, release the UGE notice in iSIS for a student who wants to
move from UGE to K-State 8?
See Removing the UGE Flag documentation in iSIS Help.
- If a class is tagged for two K-State 8 topics, which topic will it satisfy?
When a course is tagged for two K-State 8 areas, the student may count that course toward both areas. However, it is strongly recommended that students enroll in a sufficient variety of courses to offer them a genuine breadth of perspective.
- Where can I get a list of classes that meet K-State 8 requirements?
Lists of courses tagged for each of the K-State 8 areas will be made available in the Course Schedule for each term, beginning with Summer 2011.
- Go to: http://courses.k-state.edu/
- Select the term Course Schedule you want (e.g., Fall 2011)
- Select the K-State course list
- The "Aesthetic Experience and Interpretive Understanding" course list will be shown first. To find courses in other areas, select the desired K-State 8 area from the drop-down box at the top left.
The Catalog Search or the Courses Filter in the Undergraduate Catalog allows you to search for classes based on the K-State 8 content area. Be sure to use the entire title of the K-State 8 area when using either of these searches. Also, the online course schedule will identify which K-State 8 category each course satisfies via the K-State 8 icons.