Description of Personal Computer Repair at Kansas State University
Computer repair services for privately owned computers and peripherals are provided to students, faculty, staff
and guests of Kansas State University as a joint effort by the Information Technology Assistance Center
and the K-State Student Union Computer Store. University guests are
persons who enter campus for an educational, research, or public service activity, and not primarily to purchase
services under this program, in accordance with Kansas Board of Regents Policy. We will make every effort to
repair your computer as quickly and efficiently as possible. Whenever possible your equipment will be returned
to you in no more than 5 business days.
We will provide the following services:
- Hardware repair – We will repair or replace any failed or questionable components including CPU’s,
memory, motherboards, power supplies, video cards, hard drives, etc. We cannot guarantee that the
replacement part will be identical to the original, but it will be functionally equivalent or better. You will be
billed for the University’s direct and indirect costs involved in acquiring the parts.
- Data Recovery – Whenever possible we will recover existing data to transportable media or restore it to your
system after repairs are completed. If we are unable to recover your critical data we will give you the option of
sending your drive to a data recovery service at your expense. You are responsible for letting us know if there
is data on your computer that you need recovered before we begin repairs.
- Operating System troubleshooting and repair – We will make every reasonable attempt, up to and including
formatting and reinstalling the operating system, to repair problems due to operating system corruption, viruses,
spyware, etc. We cannot and will not install invalid or illegal operating systems or software. If it is necessary
to reinstall your operating system you will be responsible for providing us with original disks and a Certificate
of Authenticity prior to the reinstall.
- Configuration to meet minimum campus network security requirements - We will apply all necessary
patches and updates to your system, verify or install if needed the campus standard antivirus software, enable
and configure the firewall, and make every reasonable effort to ensure the machine is free of viruses, spyware,
etc. We will configure your system to automatically apply needed patches and updates at regular intervals in
order to keep the machine as problem free as possible.
- Configuration to ensure proper operation – We will install all applicable device drivers provided they are
readily available and configure your machine to conform with University standards. This includes
configuration of wired and wireless network cards and instructions for getting your machine un-blocked on the
campus network if necessary.
- Software Installation – In most cases we will install standard office suite applications, web browsers, e-mail
clients, etc. as long as you are able to provide us with the appropriate installation media and proof of license.
Configuration of such applications will generally be your responsibility to ensure that they operate correctly in
your environment, as will installation of any non-standard software.
- Warranty Service – We will provide warranty service on Apple and Dell equipment, up to the limits
of our agreements with those manufacturers. As long as the repairs are covered by the manufacturer and our
labor is reimbursed by them you will not be charged anything for the repair. These repairs are typically limited
to hardware repair only. You will be charged standard labor rates for any other services you require.
- Charges – All repairs for which we are not reimbursed under a manufacturers warranty will be billed for parts
and labor. The standard labor rate is $55 / hour with a ˝ hour minimum charge. We will do an initial
evaluation of the machine and provide you with an estimate of the cost to repair it if the estimate exceeds the
- By agreeing to the “Terms and Conditions of Personal Computer Repair” and submitting a work request or
bringing your machine to our facility you are authorizing us to begin diagnosis and repair of your equipment,
which may include some system reconfiguration. This will incur the minimum charge ($27.50 plus applicable
sales tax), but you will be contacted prior to any work being done in excess of the minimum charge.
- Warranty – We will provide you with the following warranty on any repairs we perform:
- 90 days free support - We will assist you with any questions, problems or configuration issues you may
have related to a repair within the first 90 days without any additional labor charges. Separate or
unrelated issues on the same machine will be subject to additional labor charges.
- Parts and Labor - We will provide full parts and labor warranty on any new parts we sell you for the
warranty period provided by the part manufacturer up to 1 year from the date the repairs are completed.
These warranty periods vary between manufacturers and between parts and may be as short as 14 days
from date of purchase, but will in no case exceed 1 year. If the part manufacturers warranty exceeds 1
year we will honor the warranty period on the part (typically 5 years on hard drives and lifetime of the
machine on memory) but you will be responsible for any labor charges and shipping involved in these
In order to check the status of your repair, please call Client Services (formerly Technology Service Center) at 532-6314 or e-mail us at
TechServices@k-state.edu. Please wait 5 business days from the date you dropped off your computer to call.
If your repair is finished sooner, we will notify you.
After your equipment is repaired, you may pick it up and pay for the repairs at
214 Hale Library. Please bring your ID and if possible the form you were given when you dropped off your computer. Only the owner of
the machine will be allowed to pick it up.