NFPA Total Heat Loss Test
Total heat loss (from fire fighter fabrics)
ASTM 1868 "Thermal and Evaporative Resistance of Clothing Materials Using a Sweating Hot Plate Test"
THL Specification criteria are given in:
- NFPA 1951 “Protective Ensembles for Technical Rescue Operations”
- NFPA 1971 "Protective Clothing for Structural Fire Fighting and Proximity Fire Fighting"
- NFPA 1977 “Protective Clothing and Equipment for Wildland Fire Fighting”
- NFPA 1992 “Liquid Splash-Protective Ensembles and Clothing for Hazardous Materials Emergencies”
- NFPA 1994 “ Protective Ensembles for First Responders to CBRN Terrorism Incidents”
- NFPA 1999 “Emergency Medical Protective Clothing”
Sweating hot plate in an environmental chamber; custom hoods provide either horizontal or vertical air flow at different levels
Specimen number and size:
3 - 20 x 20 inch squares
$700 per fabric or fabric assembly (3 reps dry, 3 reps sweating)
|Fire fighter turnout gear materials|