Processing Hourly Student
Transactions for Summer
Summer 2013- May 12, 2013 through August 17, 2013
The exact beginning and ending dates of each semester and how
these dates relate to student employment are routinely published
by Human Resources and are available at Payroll and Employment Dates.
For employment during the summer, the person must meet one of
the following requirements:
- Enrolled in no fewer than 6 hours in the past spring semester
- Pre-enrolled in the upcoming fall semester in no fewer than
- Enrolled in the summer semester for any number of credit hours
- Admitted to study in the upcoming fall semester.
Students with an F1 or J1 visa may only be employed during the
summer semester if they have been enrolled in no fewer than six
credit hours in the previous spring semester or are enrolled in
any number of hours in the summer semester.
- Complete an Hourly
Student Data Sheet (PER-40) (pdf) form for an hourly student being appointed
or rehired. Please indicate if the employee has prior KSU service
or service with another State of Kansas agency.
- In addition to the PER-40 supporting documents are
required for hires and rehires. Examples of forms are the K-4 Form, Form I-9, Substance Abuse Policy, etc. For
a complete list of documents required for a new hire or rehire
please refer to the transaction check
list for hourly students.
- An On-Campus Work Permit is required for non-resident
alien employees. Personnel Specialists should electronically
request the work permit through International Student
and Scholar Services. Further information on work permits can be found
- For a rehire, please verify that both the student's address
and the direct deposit information (if applicable) in HRIS are
up-to-date. When a student terminates, this information is not
deleted from HRIS unless the employee has been terminated on
all employment records for more than one year.
- The Employee Oath must be completed and notarized for all new hires.
For rehires the Employee Oath is not required.
- Those students who will not be working in the summer but will be returning to the same position for the fall semester, are allowed to
remain on the department's payroll as long as another State of Kansas agency does not hire them during the summer.
- Students who are graduating or will not be returning in Fall 2013 may remain on the payroll until the week classes
- To process student terminations, departments have access to enter
an Appointment End Date. See instructions at http://www.k-state.edu/hr/hris/Appointment_End_Date.pdf
(pdf). Click on "Appointment End Date".
Terminations may also be processed by submitting an individual Hourly
Student Data Sheet (PER-40) (pdf)
Please contact your Payroll & Employee Data liaison, (785)532-6277, with