Skip to the content

Kansas State University

PPM Chapters
Related Codes
Related Reports
Related Forms

Most forms are available in other formats on these pages:

Superseding Transactions

If a superseding action is necessary, please contact your department's Human Resources Payroll & Employee Data liaison, (785) 532-6277.

Processing Hourly Student Transactions for Summer

Employment Dates

Summer 2013- May 12, 2013 through August 17, 2013

The exact beginning and ending dates of each semester and how these dates relate to student employment are routinely published by Human Resources and are available at Payroll and Employment Dates.

Employment Eligibility

For employment during the summer, the person must meet one of the following requirements:

  1. Enrolled in no fewer than 6 hours in the past spring semester
  2. Pre-enrolled in the upcoming fall semester in no fewer than 6 hours
  3. Enrolled in the summer semester for any number of credit hours
  4. Admitted to study in the upcoming fall semester.

Students with an F1 or J1 visa may only be employed during the summer semester if they have been enrolled in no fewer than six credit hours in the previous spring semester or are enrolled in any number of hours in the summer semester.

Hourly Student Appointment

  • Complete an Hourly Student Data Sheet (PER-40) (pdf) form for an hourly student being appointed or rehired. Please indicate if the employee has prior KSU service or service with another State of Kansas agency.
  • In addition to the PER-40 supporting documents are required for hires and rehires. Examples of forms are the K-4 Form, Form I-9, Substance Abuse Policy, etc. For a complete list of documents required for a new hire or rehire please refer to the transaction check list for hourly students.
  • An On-Campus Work Permit is required for non-resident alien employees. Personnel Specialists should electronically request the work permit through International Student and Scholar Services. Further information on work permits can be found
  • For a rehire, please verify that both the student's address and the direct deposit information (if applicable) in HRIS are up-to-date. When a student terminates, this information is not deleted from HRIS unless the employee has been terminated on all employment records for more than one year.
  • The Employee Oath must be completed and notarized for all new hires. For rehires the Employee Oath is not required.


  • Those students who will not be working in the summer but will be returning to the same position for the fall semester, are allowed to remain on the department's payroll as long as another State of Kansas agency does not hire them during the summer.
  • Students who are graduating or will not be returning in Fall 2013 may remain on the payroll until the week classes start—8/25/2013.
  • To process student terminations, departments have access to enter an Appointment End Date. See instructions at (pdf). Click on "Appointment End Date". Terminations may also be processed by submitting an individual Hourly Student Data Sheet (PER-40) (pdf)


Please contact your Payroll & Employee Data liaison, (785)532-6277, with questions.