Skip to the content

Kansas State University

Non-Resident Alien Employment

Only certain visa classifications are allowed to work in the United States. The visa status, employment restrictions and required documentation are provided on the non-immigrant visa classifications page.

Work permits are required for all on campus work by hourly students, graduate student, classified staff and unclassified faculty and staff; and are obtained through International Student and Scholar Services.

There are special employment tax guidelines and tax treaties which apply to non-resident employment.

All non-resident employees are required to complete the KSU Foreign National Tax Information Form (pdf).

There are special Requirements for Issuing Social Security Numbers (pdf).

There are special requirements for the I-9 and non-resident aliens. Check out the New I-9 Changes (pdf)

Samples of completed Form I-9:

Arrival/ Departure Form I-94 Automation Process

At the end of April 2013, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) announced that it would automate the I-94 arrival/departure record. With the automated I-94, an electronic I-94 record is created when a student/scholar arrives at the port of entry in the U.S. The student/scholar will receive an admission stamp in his/her passport, which will reflect the class of admission (such as F-1, J-1, H-1B), the date of admission and the admit-to date or D/S. A paper I-94 will no longer be issued.

At the ports of entry a handout will be distributed to notify students/scholars about the change and provide information about the I-94 website. Students and Scholars will be directed to this website to print out a hard copy of the I-94. You will need the hard copy of the I-94 in order to complete the I-9.

For more information on the process, go to CBP Announcement of new Arrival/Departure Record Process

Related Report

Related Links