Division of Human Resources-Newsletter
Topics included in the December 20, 2002 issue:

* On Campus Work Permits
* Hourly Student Terminations for Spring 2003
* GTA/GRA Health Insurance
* HR Staff News

On Campus Work Permits
This is a reminder that non-resident hourly student employees must have a 2003 Spring On Campus Work Permit completed. This includes current student employees as well as rehires and new hires. On campus work permits are required each semester for hourly non-resident students. For all other non-resident employees such as Graduate Students and Faculty, work permits are required at the time of hire and usually go through the end of their appointment. The on campus work permit is obtained through the International Student Center.

Hourly Student Terminations for Spring 2003
Student employees currently on the payroll and who will not be enrolled during the spring semester must be terminated by January 16, 2003, with last day of work being no later than Wednesday, January 15, 2003. Please submit individual Hourly Student Data Sheets (PER-40) or blanket listings indicating Employee’s name, Employee ID, Record #, Position # and effective date of termination. Students not enrolled during the Fall 02 semester but who are now enrolled for the spring semester may begin employment on January 5 or later.

Reminder: To be eligible for employment as an hourly student employee, a person must be at least 16 years old (at least 18 years old for employment in the Division of Facilities) and must be enrolled at K-State in at least one credit hour during the fall or spring semesters.

For more information on student employment please refer to the Hourly Student Employment Guidelines available on the following website or Policy & Procedures Manual Chapter 4270, Hourly Student Employees at

GTA/GRA Health Insurance
As you hire or reappoint graduate teaching assistants and/or graduate research assistants for the Spring 2003 semester please advise each student about the available GTA/GRA health insurance plan. Persons appointed at least .5 FTE for the semester as a graduate teaching assistant or graduate research assistant are eligible to participate in the health insurance plan.

Graduate teaching assistants or graduate research assistants who receive a "renewal premium notice" from Student Resources are to return it, with the semester premium payment, to the Division of Human Resources by January 31, 2003.

A brochure describing the plan provisions and an enrollment card (including premium rates) are available at the following web site:

Questions concerning this plan should be directed to Student Resources at 1-800-767-0700.

HR Staff News
Karla Quick will be on maternity leave for approximately 8 weeks as of December 23, 2002. Joe Younger will be the contact person for Workers' Compensation issues while she is on leave. Please direct Workers' Compensation reporting information or inquiries, NEO scheduling, FMLA, Long Term Care, and US Savings Bond inquiries to during this time.

Monica Stone will be out of the office on maternity leave from December 23, 2002 through March 24, 2003. In her absence, please direct recruitment questions to Cheryl Grice.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

"Have a safe and happy holiday!!" from the HR Staff.

“The foolish person seeks happiness in the distance; the wise person grows it under his feet.” --James Oppenheim

Kansas State University
Division of Human Resources
103 Edwards Hall
Manhattan, KS 66506-4801
Phone (785) 532-6277 Fax (785) 532-6095
Visit us on the web at

Division of Human Resources   103 Edwards Hall  Manhattan, KS 66506-4801  (785) 532-6277
start of standard bottom bar
Home        Search        Directories        Calendar        Comments
Kansas State University
December 20, 2002