Skip to the content

Kansas State University

Division of Human Resources
Kansas State University
103 Edwards Hall
Manhattan, KS 66506-4801
785-532-6095 (fax)
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (CST)
Contact HR

Human Resources Newsletter

November 10, 2011

Topics included in this issue:

HRIS Access Report

An automated process eliminates HRIS access, except Employee Self Service, for those who have separated from the university ― no need to submit a HRIS Access Form to delete access for these individuals. However, for those who have had a change in responsibilities, a HRIS Access Form needs to be completed and submitted to modify security access.

The HRIS Access Report assists with tracking HRIS security access and may be run at any time. Path: Workforce Administration > Workforce Reports > HRIS Access

HRIS Access Form/Instructions/Role Definitions:

Questions concerning HRIS security access may be directed to Alma Deutsch at, (785) 532-1448 or Frieda Beat at, (785) 532-1884.

All Jobs Summary Page

The All Jobs Summary page displays key information regarding former and/or current positions for all K-State employees. It is an excellent page to go to when hiring a new employee ― if they have had a previous position at K-State ― the page will display needed information (i.e., Name, Employee ID, eID, etc.).

Path: Workforce Administration>Job Information>Review Job Information>All Jobs Summary

F-1 OPT STEM Extension

Employees can now be employed at Kansas State University on the Optional Practical Training (OPT) STEM extension. An F-1 academic student who received a bachelor.s, master.s, or doctoral degree in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM) may apply for a one-time 17-month extension of his or her OPT. To qualify, a student must have completed a degree included in the DHS STEM Designated Degree Program List found on the website for Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) at Further details can be found at

Student Employment Date Reminders

For the Fall 2011 semester, graduating students may not work beyond December 17, 2011. The hourly student employee must be put on a different type of appointment if the department wishes to employ them beyond that date.

Current students who are working during the fall semester, but are not graduating and will not be enrolled for the spring semester, may be employed up until the week classes begin for the spring semester. These employees would need to be put on a different type of appointment if you wish to employ them beyond January 14, 2012.

New students for the spring semester may begin employment starting the first pay period of the spring semester. New students may be hired January 8, 2012 or after.

Information on current payroll and employment dates can be found at: Important Payroll and Employment Dates. Please contact your HR liaison with questions.


" The only way to make sure people you agree with can speak is to support the rights of people you don't agree with. " Eleanor Holmes Norton