*site map hrHomeSearch

Division of Human Resources-Newsletter

Topics included in the Nobember 4, 2005 issue:

* Daylight Saving Time
* Reminder – 2005 Discretionary Day
* Veteran's Day
* Benefits Enrollment-Change-Notification Timelines
* Spoken English Competency for Faculty Hires
* Paperwork Submission
* HRIS Time & Leave Archiving

Daylight Saving Time
EXEMPT employees time and leave entry will NOT be affected by daylight saving time.

NONEXEMPT employees who worked during this time (Sunday, October 30, 2:00 a.m.) will be compensated as follows: Nonexempt employees who worked during the time when the clock was set back (Sunday, October 30, at 2:00 a.m.) will have an extra hour.  All hours actually worked on Sunday will be recorded as regular (REG) hours.  (Example: 8-hour shift … 9 REG hours will be recorded if the employee worked during the specified shift on Sunday.)  If the employee does not adjust their work schedule for the rest of the workweek, they could potentially receive overtime pay (OTP) or compensatory time earned (CME) at the end of the 10/30/2005-11/5/2005 work week.  Remember that overtime is not reported until an employee has met their FLSA limit (40 hours).

Please contact Alma Deutsch at (785) 532-1448 or Kristi Fronce at (785) 532-1889, if you need further explanation.

Reminder – 2005 Discretionary Day
The last day an employee may use their 2005 Discretionary Day is Saturday, December 31, 2005.  Please remind any eligible employees in your department who have not used their 2005 Discretionary Day.

Questions should be addressed to the Division of Human Resources at (785) 532-6277.

Veteran's Day
Veteran's Day, Friday, November 11, is an official state holiday.  However, in accordance with Board of Regents policy and the KSU Faculty Handbook it is not a Regents unclassified holiday because classes are in session.

Any full-time CLASSIFIED employee who does not work on Veteran's Day will receive Holiday Credit (HDC) equal to the number of hours normally scheduled to work.  A part-time classified employee who works a regular schedule receives Holiday Credit (HDC) equal to whatever pay the employee would receive for that day if it were not a holiday.  A part-time classified employee who works an irregular schedule does not receive holiday credit (HDC) but is paid at the time and half rate for those hours worked on a holiday.

Any full-time or part-time classified employee who works on the holiday will use either Holiday Comp Time 1.5 (HCP) or Holiday Pay 1.5 (HDP) to record all hours worked on the holiday.

A TEMPORARY classified employee will NOT receive Holiday Credit (HDC) but is paid at the time and half rate for those hours worked on a holiday.  Holiday Pay 1.5 (HDP) will be used to record time worked on the holiday for a temporary classified employee.

Veteran's Day is not a Board of Regents unclassified holiday and should be treated like any other work day for all UNCLASSIFIED employees.  If an unclassified employee takes the day off, they will need to use leave (i.e., vacation leave, sick leave, etc.).  Do not use any holiday earnings codes for your unclassified employees for that day.

Questions may be directed to Alma Deutsch at (785) 532-1448 or Kristi Fronce at (785) 532-1889.

Benefits Enrollment-Change-Notification Timelines
The Benefits Administration staff has created a timeline document outlining when benefit program enrollments, changes and other notifications are due in the Division of Human Resources.  This document is meant as an additional management tool for your use in assisting employees with these programs.

The timeline document is available on the Human Resources web page at:

  1. HRIS User Personnel Specialists (http://www.k-state.edu/hr/hrisuser.htm or
  2. Policies and Guidelines (http://www.k-state.edu/hr/pedguidelines.htm

Questions should be addressed to the Division of Human Resources at (785) 532-6277.

Spoken English Competency for Faculty Hires
In June, the “Spoken English Competency” section was added to the Appointment Form (PER-38).  This section is to be completed for all new faculty hires before submitting these transactions to Human Resources.  Additionally, for those faculty members with no teaching duties or assignments requiring contact with students, remember to mark the appropriate checkbox.  Please refer to Policy and Procedures Manual, Chapter 4650, Section .075 “Spoken English Competency” for more information.

Your assistance in ensuring this section of the form is properly completed is greatly appreciated.  Please contact your Division of Human Resources Payroll & Employee Data liaison with questions at (785) 532-6277. 

Paperwork Submission
When an employee moves from one department to another at Kansas State University, the hiring department should submit the appropriate transaction to the Division of Human Resources.  This is usually the Appointment Form (PER-38) used to appoint the employee to the hiring department. 

Instances where a Change or Separation form (PER-39) is required to terminate the employee is when: (1) there is a break in service of more than one day, (2) the employee was in a non-benefit eligible position and is being hired to a benefit eligible position or vice versa, (3) the employee is transferring from a State of Kansas position to a local agency position or vice versa, or (3) the employee is leaving the university entirely.  It is not necessary to submit a termination for an employee if they are being promoted, demoted or transferred to another department with no break in service or if the employee is changing from classified to unclassified or vice versa.  To avoid an incorrect leave payout, the Appointment Form from the hiring department is all that is necessary.

Please contact your Division of Human Resource, Payroll & Employee Data liaison with any questions at (785)532-6277.

HRIS Time & Leave Archiving
Calendar year 2001 time and leave records and leave accrual data have been archived to CD and removed from HRIS.  We have moved calendar year 2003 time and leave records and leave accrual data to the history pages in HRIS.  To access time and leave records for calendar year 2002 or 2003, go to Time & Leave>Review>Employee Work History.   To access leave accrual history, go to Time & Leave>Leave Accruals –Work History. 

“Effective leadership is putting first things first. Effective management is discipline, carrying it out.”  - Stephen Covey

Kansas State University
Division of Human Resources
103 Edwards Hall
Manhattan, KS 66506-4801
Phone (785) 532-6277 Fax (785) 532-6095
Visit us on the web at http://www.ksu.edu/hr/

Division of Human Resources   hr@ksu.edu   103 Edwards Hall  Manhattan, KS 66506-4801  (785) 532-6277
start of standard bottom bar
Home        Search        Directories        Calendar        Comments
Kansas State University
January 13, 2006