Skip to the content

Kansas State University

Division of Human Resources
Kansas State University
103 Edwards Hall
Manhattan, KS 66506-4801
785-532-6095 (fax)
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (CST)
Contact HR

Human Resources Newsletter

August 19, 2011

Topics included in this issue:

Graduate Student Employed in their Final Semester

To be hired as a graduate student employee, a person must be admitted to the K-State Graduate School and be enrolled in at least six credit hours per semester at K-State during the academic year. However, an exception may be made by the Graduate School during their final semester to allow them to be enrolled in less than the six hour requirement. International students must obtain permission from the International Student and Scholar Service to enroll in less than a full course of study (6 hours). The number of hours enrolled determines the length of employment for a graduate student during their final semester.

Please refer to the Last Semester GTA/GRA/GA Table: (pdf) as well as Employing Graduate Student in Final Semester (pdf)for additional information.

When a department wants to employ a graduate student enrolled in less than six hours for the entire semester, an alternate employment relationship must be utilized such as a temporary or term appointment in the unclassified service (see PPM Chapter 4650) or a temporary appointment in the classified service (see PPM Chapter 4460).

Campus Phone Book

As a final reminder, Human Resources will soon be submitting employee information for the Campus Phone Book to Student Publications. If employees have not already verified their personal information in HRIS, please ask them to do so now. To access Employee Self Service, employees may go to More information on how to view and update through Employee Self Service is found at

Personnel specialists should review pertinent employee position and job information in HRIS. To accomplish this, please run the Active Position Listing Report. Instructions are available at (pdf). Updates may be made directly in HRIS by the personnel specialists. For instructions on updating work information, refer to (pdf).

The deadline for having all updates completed is August 22, 2011 so it is important to have everything verified as soon as possible.

Please contact your HR liaison with questions.

Reminder to Complete the Change or Separation Form (PER-39) for Benefit Eligible Employees

Personnel specialists MUST complete the Change or Separation Form (PER-39) and submit it to HR for any employee who terminates from a benefit eligible position. There is no automatic termination based on contract end date/appointment end date for benefit eligible employees. Human Resources must have the PER-39 from the department with the employee and department head (or designated representative) signature on the form. In those instances where an employee has submitted a signed letter of resignation or an exit interview, the signature on those forms may replace the requirement of a signature on the PER-39.

Please contact your HR liaison with questions.


" I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it. " Harry S. Truman (1884 — 1972)