*site map hrHomeSearch

Division of Human Resources-Newsletter

Topics included in the July 28, 2006 issue:

* GTA/GRA Health Insurance
* Faculty/Staff Changes in Campus Phone Book
* Fall 2006 Hourly Student Employment Reminders
* Social Security Numbers for Foreign Students/Exchange Visitors
* Employee Separations
* Construction Around Edwards Hall

GTA/GRA Health Insurance
As you hire or reappoint graduate teaching assistants and/or graduate research assistants for the Fall 2006 semester please advise each student about the available GTA/GRA health insurance plan.  Persons appointed at least .5 FTE for the semester as a graduate teaching assistant or graduate research assistant are eligible to participate in the health insurance plan.

Graduate teaching assistants or graduate research assistants are to complete a GTA/GRA  Enrollment Form and return it, along with the semester premium payment, to the Division of Human Resources, 103 Edwards Hall, by August 31, 2006.

A brochure describing the plan provisions, an enrollment form (including premium rates) and a temporary identification card are available at the following web site: http://www.k-state.edu/hr/benefits/gta.html or from the Division of Human Resources.

The employer contribution rate for the Fall 2006 and Spring 2007 semesters is $261.00 each semester.  The GTA/GRA rate for the Fall 2006 and Spring 2007 semesters is $87.00 each semester for single coverage.

Questions concerning the plan provisions should be directed to Student Insurance Kansas Customer Service at 1-888-344-6104.

Faculty/Staff Changes in Campus Phone Book
Each year, Student Publications Inc., strives to give the K-State community an accurate Campus Phone Book. Human Resources (HR) provides the faculty/staff information. The student information section of the campus phone book is provided through the Registrar's Office.  Work on the 2006-2007 Campus Phone Book is currently in progress. Information that will be printed in the phone book will include the employee's name, campus address and phone, business title or job title, home address and home phone. The employee's KSU e-mail address will also be included and this information will be provided by Computing & Network Services (CNS).

Employee Information Sheets were mailed out to departments for distribution on July 17, 2006. Employees should review the information provided on the information sheets and return the forms back to their department personnel specialist by July 31, 2006.  Employee information sheets with changes should be returned to HR for processing as soon as possible but no later than August 7, 2006. For 9-month faculty not working this summer, please return the form as soon as possible after their return but no later than August 14, 2006. Note: If there are no changes, please do not return update sheets to HR.

For more detailed information please refer to the "Faculty/Staff Changes in Campus Phone Book" memorandum located at http://www.ksu.edu/hr/news/hrmem.htm. Questions may be referred to your department's Human Resources, Payroll & Employee Data liaison.

Fall 2006 Hourly Student Employment Reminders
Employment for the 2006 fall semester begins August 13, 2006. Hourly students must be enrolled at K-State in no fewer than six credit hours during the fall semester to be eligible for employment. For students being rehired or coming back after being off for the summer, please verify that they meet the enrollment requirement of at least six hours, as well as verifying both the student’s address and the current direct deposit information in HRIS, if applicable, to ensure they are up to date. For additional hourly student employment reminders go to http://www.ksu.edu/hr/infomgmt/hourly.html.

Social Security Numbers for Foreign Students/Exchange Visitors
Just a reminder that prior to employment a foreign student or exchange visitor must have a social security number. Retroactive appointments will not be made as prospective employees should not be allowed to work without a SSN. Before applying for a SSN please have the foreign student or exchange visitor report to the International Student Center to ensure they have been registered in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). The Social Security Administration will only assign a SSN if there are no conflicts with agency requirements and the student’s/visitor’s status in SEVIS. For more detailed information regarding the requirements needed to obtain a SSN for foreign residents please refer to http://www.ksu.edu/hr/alien.html.

Questions may be referred to Frieda Beat, Payroll & Employee Data at (785) 532-1884.

Employee Separations
When an employee moves from one department to another at Kansas State University, the hiring department should submit the Appointment Form (PER-38) to the Division of Human Resources.  A Change or Separation Form (PER-39) is only required in the following instances:  (1) there is a break in service of more than one day, (2) the employee was in a non-benefit eligible position and is being hired to a benefit eligible position or vice versa, (3) the employee is transferring from a State of Kansas position to a local agency position or vice versa, (4) the employee is transferring to another state agency (examples – SRS, KDOT, University of Kansas), or (5) the employee is leaving Kansas State University entirely.

It is not necessary to submit a Change or Separation Form (PER-39) to terminate an employee from your department if that employee is promoting, demoting or transferring to another department at Kansas State University with no break in service. A Change or Separation Form (PER-39) is not required if the employee is changing from classified to unclassified or vice versa. The transaction received from the hiring department will transfer the employee from one department to another.

When a Change or Separation Form (PER-39) is submitted for an employee, Human Resource staff will process the transaction accordingly. The employee’s benefits will be terminated and their leave payout (if applicable) is processed. This can result in major problems for the employee and the department if the employee is truly not separating from state service. We encourage personnel specialists to ask employees where they are going when they submit their resignation. If the employee is not leaving Kansas State University, please do not submit paperwork unless any of the examples listed previously apply.

Please contact your HR liaison with any questions at (785)532-6277.

Construction Around Edwards Hall
Edwards Hall is currently surrounded by construction.  If you are planning a trip to Edwards Hall, Roof Road, located just to the east of Denison Avenue which passes through Jardine Apartments, has generally been open.  The construction on Denison Avenue from Kimball to Kerr is scheduled to be completed by the second week of October.  Thanks for your patience during this process.

“Wisdom is knowing when you can’t be wise.”  Paul Engle

Kansas State University
Division of Human Resources
103 Edwards Hall
Manhattan, KS 66506-4801
Phone (785) 532-6277 Fax (785) 532-6095
Visit us on the web at http://www.ksu.edu/hr/

Division of Human Resources   hr@ksu.edu   103 Edwards Hall  Manhattan, KS 66506-4801  (785) 532-6277
start of standard bottom bar
Home        Search        Directories        Calendar        Comments
Kansas State University
July 28, 2006