Skip to the content

Kansas State University

Division of Human Resources
Kansas State University
103 Edwards Hall
Manhattan, KS 66506-4801
785-532-6095 (fax)
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (CST)
Contact HR

Human Resources Newsletter

July 25, 2008

Topics included in this issue:

Classified Leave Plan Changes Reminder

The Kansas Board of Regents has approved new leave accrual rates for non-exempt and exempt classified employees. Effective June 15, 2008, classified employees with more than 10 years of service began earning at a rate of 6.7 hours per pay period when in pay status for 80 hours. Non-exempt classified employees who report fewer than 80 hours in a pay period shall earn annual leave on a prorated basis. View the updated Annual Leave Chart:

Maximum accruals for classified employees are no longer based upon years of service. Classified employees may accrue up to, but not exceed, 304 hours of annual leave throughout the year. In addition, there will be no conversion of annual leave hours to sick leave at the end of the fiscal year.

Maximum classified annual leave payout upon resignation/termination has changed to 176 hours and annual leave payout upon retirement has changed to 240 hours.

This policy change applies to Board of Regents institutions only, not all State of Kansas agencies.

Updating Contract Data in HRIS

At the beginning of each new fiscal year, the contract data pages in HRIS are automatically updated for regular unclassified employees. New rows have been inserted for fiscal year 2009 based on the employee.s months basis. The only on-line entry required by department personnel specialists will be for those individuals whose contract type has changed from FY 2008 to FY 2009 and for those individuals with renewed term contracts.


Important Deadlines:

  • July 31, 2008 ........ Fiscal Year Contracts (12-Month Contracts)
  • August 29, 2008 ...... Academic Contracts (9-Month Contracts)
  • September 19, 2008 .... 9- and 12-Month Renewed TERM Contracts

Reminder: To reappoint those with TERM contracts, please submit a Change or Separation Form (PER-39) with a copy of their contract to the Division of Human Resources.

Note: Throughout the year when a contract is renewed or changed, on-line entry is required within 20 days from the contract begin date.

Questions may be referred to your department's Human Resources, Payroll & Employee Data liaison at (785) 532-6277 or Alma Deutsch at (785) 532-1448.

Faculty/Staff Changes in Campus Phone Book

Each year, Student Publications Inc., strives to give the K-State community an accurate Campus Phone Book. Human Resources (HR) provides the faculty/staff information. The student information section of the campus phone book is provided through the Registrar's Office. Work on the 2008-2009 Campus Phone Book is currently in progress. Information that will be printed in the phone book will include the employee's name, campus address and phone, business title or job title, home address and home phone. The employee's KSU e-mail address will also be included and this information will be provided by Computing & Telecommunication Services (CTS).

Employee Information Sheets were mailed out to departments for distribution on July 18, 2008. Employees should review the information provided on the information sheets and return the forms back to their department personnel specialist by August 1, 2008. Employee information sheets with changes should be returned to HR for processing as soon as possible but no later than August 8, 2008. For 9-month faculty not working this summer, please return the form as soon as possible after their return but no later than August 15, 2008. Note: If there are no changes, please do not return update sheets to HR.

For more detailed information please refer to the "Faculty/Staff Changes in Campus Phone Book" memorandum located at Questions may be referred to your department's Human Resources, Payroll & Employee Data liaison at (785) 532-6277.

Fall 2008 Hourly Student Employment Reminders

Employment for the 2008 fall semester begins August 10, 2008. Hourly students must be enrolled at K-State in no fewer than six credit hours during the fall semester to be eligible for employment. For students being rehired or coming back from being off for the summer, please verify that they meet the enrollment requirement of at least six hours, as well as verifying both the student's address and the current direct deposit information in HRIS, if applicable, to ensure they are up to date.

For additional hourly student employment reminders go to

Social Security Numbers for Foreign Students/Exchange Visitors

Just a reminder that prior to employment a foreign student or exchange visitor must have social security number. Retroactive appointments will not be made as prospective employees should not be allowed to work without a SSN. Before applying for a SSN please have the foreign student or exchange visitor report to the International Student Center to ensure they have been registered in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). The Social Security Administration will only assign a SSN if there are no conflicts with agency requirements and the student's/visitor's status in SEVIS. For more detailed information regarding the requirements needed to obtain a SSN for foreign residents please refer to

Questions may be referred to Frieda Beat, Payroll & Employee Data, (785) 532-1884.


" Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain." Anonymous