*site map hrHomeSearch

Division of Human Resources-Newsletter

Topics included in the May 18, 2007 issue:

* University’s Minimum Wage for Students
* New Income Tax Treaty with Bangladesh
* Hourly Student On Campus Work Permits for Summer Semester
* Classified Vacation Leave Balances
* FY 2008 Leave Record
* Benefits Administration Training

University’s Minimum Wage for Students
K-State’s minimum wage for students will increase to $6.50 per hour effective at the beginning of the 2007-2008 academic year. Our office will automate the insertion of hourly pay rate changes in HRIS to $6.50 effective August 12, 2007 for those below the new K-State minimum wage.  Further details will be forthcoming closer to the effective date.

New Income Tax Treaty with Bangladesh
Effective January 1, 2007 a new income tax treaty between Bangladesh and the United States was implemented.  The treaty allows teachers and researchers from Bangladesh exemption from United States federal taxes for two years. Students are allowed exemption up to $8,000.00 per year for two years.  Additional information on tax treaty benefits can be found athttp://www.k-state.edu/hr/infomgmt/treatysum.htm.

Hourly Student On Campus Work Permits for Summer Semester
Non-resident hourly student employees must have a 2007 summer On Campus Work permit to work beyond June 4, 2007.   This includes current student employees as well as rehires and new hires.   The International Student Center will begin issuing hourly student summer work permits on June 5, 2007. 

In addition, if a student on a graduate assistantship transfers to an hourly student appointment within the same department an hourly student work permit would not be required if the current graduate student work permit is still valid.  This is only valid for the summer.  Any other time a work permit is required for each type of appointment.

Classified Vacation Leave Balances
Classified employees whose vacation balance is, or soon will be, over the maximum:  You must use your excess vacation leave by Saturday, June 16, 2007 (or a preceding work day, such as Friday, if you do not work Saturdays).

If you are unable to take the excess vacation leave, your Human Resource or Payroll office will ensure up to 40 hours of vacation leave that is over the maximum allowed is converted to sick leave at the end of the fiscal year.

The hours you accrue during the 06/03/07 - 06/16/07 pay period are not affected.

The table below outlines the accumulation limits based on your length of service if you are a classified employee.

*Length of Service*   *Maximum Accumulation*
Less than 5 years                      144
5 years and Less than 10          176
10 years and Less than 15        208
15 years and over                     240

Leave balances are viewable in the View Leave Balances section of Employee Self Service http://www.as.ksu.edu/HRIS.   However, please note that Vacation Leave Overages, if applicable, are not displayed separately from the Vacation Ending Balance.

If you have questions, please contact the Division of Human Resource at (785) 532-6277.

FY 2008 Leave Record
The Kansas State University, Division of Human Resources Leave Record for Fiscal Year 2008 is now available on our forms page at: http://www.k-state.edu/hr/forms/.   Reminder: print only the page for the amount of annual leave that you accrue.

Benefits Administration Training
The Benefits Administration staff is available to conduct one-on-one training sessions for newly appointed department personnel specialists or for those wanting a “refresher” for the following topics:

            Session I – retirement plans, supplemental investments, basic and supplemental life insurance (KPERS), beneficiary designations;

            Session II – health insurance plans, flexible spending accounts, supplemental life insurance (TEA);

            Session III – workers’ compensation, new employee orientation;

            Session IV – leave program administration, disability plans, professional development.

If interested in any one or all of the above topics, please email BENADMIN@KSU.EDU to schedule an appointment.  Questions should be addressed to Benefits Administration at Division of Human Resources at (785) 532-6277.

“The most successful people are those who are good at plan B.” James Yorke

Kansas State University
Division of Human Resources
103 Edwards Hall
Manhattan, KS 66506-4801
Phone (785) 532-6277 Fax (785) 532-6095
Visit us on the web at http://www.ksu.edu/hr/

Division of Human Resources   hr@ksu.edu   103 Edwards Hall  Manhattan, KS 66506-4801  (785) 532-6277
start of standard bottom bar
Home        Search        Directories        Calendar        Comments
Kansas State University
May 18, 2007