*site map hrHomeSearch

Division of Human Resources-Newsletter

Topics included in the April 6, 2007 issue:

* K-State Spouse/Dependent Grant
* Retirement Recognition Gift Policy
* Leave Accrual – Unclassified Exempt
* Classified Employee Vacation Leave Overage for FY 2007

K-State Spouse/Dependent Grant
The Office of Student Financial Assistance has announced that the Grant for Spouses and Dependents of full-time K-State employees will continue for the 2007-2008 academic year.

Employees whose spouse, son or daughter participated in this program during the 2006-2007 academic year will need to re-apply for the 2007-2008 academic year.  Information about this grant and the application form may be found at: http://www.k-state.edu/sfa/grants/sdg.htm or by calling the Student Financial Assistance office at (785) 532-6420.

Retirement Recognition Gift Policy
It is the practice of Kansas State University to recognize employees at the time of their retirement for their performance of duties and length of service.  The University often awards various gifts and honoraria to its employees.  Please review KSU Policy and Procedures Manual, Chapter 4812 concerning the established policy and taxing guidance.

Questions should be addressed to Benefits Administration in the Division of Human Resources at (785) 532-6277.

Leave Accrual – Unclassified Exempt
Unclassified exempt employees earn annual leave the first and second bi-weekly pay periods during the first 11 months of the fiscal year. The maximum annual leave accrual limit is 22 days (176 Hours) per fiscal year.

This year, those appointed full-time at the beginning of the 2007 fiscal year will reach their maximum accrual limit the 23rd pay period of the fiscal year (4/22/07-5/5/07).

These employees will not earn annual leave the last three pay periods of the fiscal year because they will have reached their maximum accrual limit and because a third pay day occurs in June. 

Unclassified exempt employees appointed after the beginning of the fiscal year or appointed part-time will earn annual leave the 24th and 25th pay periods of the fiscal year, as long as they do not exceed the 22-day maximum. Questions may be directed to Alma Deutsch at almamd@ksu.edu or Kristi Fronce at fronce@ksu.edu.

Classified Employee Vacation Leave Overage for FY 2007
Classified employees have until June 16, 2007, to use any vacation leave hours over their maximum allowed accumulation.  For the pay period June 3, 2007 to June 16, 2007, any vacation leave hours used will be subtracted from the vacation leave balance before the leave balance is reduced to the maximum allowed accumulation.  The amount accrued for the pay period ending June 16, 2007, will then be added to the vacation leave balance.  This means the employee does not lose the vacation leave hours accrued for that pay period.  Vacation leave overages are listed in Employee Self Service as “hours over limit,” and on the employee Statement of Earnings as “vacation overage.”

If an employee has a vacation leave overage on June 16, 2007, up to 40 hours of any excess accrued vacation leave will automatically convert to sick leave.  After this conversion, all remaining vacation leave over the maximum allowed accumulation of hours will be forfeited.

Please advise your employees of both these provisions.  Questions regarding vacation leave overage and maximum accumulations should be addressed to your HR Payroll and Employee Data Liaison at (785) 532-6277.

"There are only two ways to live your life: one is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

Kansas State University
Division of Human Resources
103 Edwards Hall
Manhattan, KS 66506-4801
Phone (785) 532-6277 Fax (785) 532-6095
Visit us on the web at http://www.ksu.edu/hr/

Division of Human Resources   hr@ksu.edu   103 Edwards Hall  Manhattan, KS 66506-4801  (785) 532-6277
start of standard bottom bar
Home        Search        Directories        Calendar        Comments
Kansas State University
April 6, 2007