*site map hrHomeSearch

Division of Human Resources-Newsletter

Topics included in the January 14, 2005 issue:

* Leave Accrual Information
* Change in Employee Self-Service W-4 Tax Information Update Page
* GTA/GRA Health Insurance
* Designation of Beneficiary
* KanElect
* Hourly Student Employment for Spring 2005
* On Campus Work Permits for Spring 2005
* KSU PPM Chapters 3090 & 4220 Revised

Leave Accrual Information
Any leave used during the 12/19/04-01/01/05 pay period does not appear on the pay advice/check that was issued today (01/14/05) or on the leave accrual reports for the pay period. However, the leave balances are correct on both the pay advice/check and on the leave accrual report.

To verify leave balances, please refer employees to Employee Self-Service in HRIS. Personnel specialists may also review employee leave balances on-line using the Leave Accruals page.

Please contact Kristi Fronce (785 532-1889) or Alma Deutsch (785 532-1448) with any questions regarding leave.

Change in Employee Self-Service W-4 Tax Information Update Page
Included in a recent tax update provided by PeopleSoft, a change was made to the employee self-service W-4 Tax Information Update page. The page now displays a checkbox that states: “If married, but withhold at single rate select Single status and check here”.
Please inform your staff that if they want the option on their W-4 to be ‘Married, but withhold at higher Single rate’, they need to complete the following steps in the employee self-service W-4 Tax Information Update page:

1)  enter the number of allowances that they want to claim

2)  select the Single radio button

3)  select the check box for ‘If married, but withhold at single rate select Single status and check here'

If you have any questions, please contact your personnel liaison at (785) 532-6277.

GTA/GRA Health Insurance
As you hire or reappoint graduate teaching assistants and/or graduate research assistants for the Spring 2005 semester please advise each student about the available GTA/GRA health insurance plan. Persons appointed at least .5 FTE for the semester as a graduate teaching assistant or graduate research assistant are eligible to participate in the health insurance plan.

Graduate teaching assistants or graduate research assistants who receive a “renewal premium notice” from Student Resources are to return it, along with the semester premium payment, to the Division of Human Resources by January 31, 2005.

The master policy, a brochure describing the plan provisions and an enrollment form (including premium rates) are available at the following web site: http://www.ksu.edu/hr/benefits/gta.html

Questions concerning the plan should be directed to Student Resources Kansas Customer Service at 1-888-344-6104.

Designation of Beneficiary
The Kansas Public Employees Retirement System (KPERS) has announced that beginning January 1, 2005, employees may name separate beneficiaries for their retirement and life insurance plans. Previously, when an employee named a beneficiary, all of his or her benefits went to the same beneficiary.

Employees may now name separate beneficiaries for:

a.       KPERS retirement plan

b.      Life insurance (basic and KPERS optional)

Employees who are satisfied with their current designations do not need to do anything. This new option is purely for employees who wish to take advantage of the change. New Designation of Beneficiary forms (KPERS-7/99) are available on the KPERS web site at: http://www.kpers.org; and on the KSU Division of Human Resources web site at: http://www.ksu.edu/hr/forms.

As in the past, each time a new beneficiary form is submitted, that form cancels all forms that have been previously completed. Please destroy any previous KPERS 7/99 forms you might have in your department and start using the new KPERS 7/99 form (dated 01/05).

Questions should be addressed to the Division of Human Resources at (785) 532-6277 or e-mail: benadmin@ksu.edu

Please remind your department employees who participated in the KanElect program in 2004 that they have until March 31, 2005 to submit claims for any services occurring between January 1, 2004 and December 31, 2004. Claim forms are available at the following web site: http://www.asiflex.com/claim.pdf

Questions should be directed to ASI at 1-800-366-4827.

Hourly Student Employment for Spring 2005
Students not enrolled during the Fall 04 semester but are enrolled for the spring semester may begin employment effective January 2 or later.

Reminder:  To be eligible for employment as an hourly student employee for the spring semester a person must be at least 16 years old (at least 18 years old for employment in the Division of Facilities) and must be enrolled at K-State in no fewer than six credit hours during the spring semester.

For more information on student employment please refer to the KSU Policy & Procedures Manual Chapter 4270, Hourly Student Employees at http://www.ksu.edu/policies/ppm/4720.html.  For a complete list of Payroll and Employment Dates please refer to http://www.ksu.edu/hr/payempdata.htm.

On Campus Work Permits for Spring 2005
(The following information was sent to the HRINFO-L list serve January 6, 2005.)

This is a reminder that non-resident hourly student employees must have a 2005 Spring On Campus Work Permit completed.  This includes current student employees as well as rehires and new hires.  On campus work permits are required each semester on hourly non-resident students in order to remain on the payroll.  For all other non-resident employees such as Graduate Students and Faculty, work permits are required at the time of hire and usually go through the end of their appointment.  The on campus work permit is obtained through the International Student Center.  For the 2005 spring semester they will start issuing hourly student work permits January 12, 2005.

Questions may be referred to Pat Schwandt (Schwan@ksu.edu), (785) 532-6277.

KSU PPM Chapters 3090 & 4220 Revised
KSU Policy and Procedures Chapter 3090, Retention of Records was revised December 3, 2004, to change the retention period of some types of records, add new record categories, and clarify the retention of supporting documents or duplicate records. The chapter may be found at: http://www.ksu.edu/policies/ppm/3090.html

KSU Policy and Procedures Chapter 4220, Hours of Work, Overtime, and Compensatory Time (FSLA), has been revised effective January 14, 2005 to include the policy on reductions in salary of exempt employees. The chapter may be found at: http://www.ksu.edu/policies/ppm/4220.html


“Though consequences can make life difficult, they also make it rich. For consequences give real meaning and value to the choices that you make.” -- Ralph Marston

Kansas State University
Division of Human Resources
103 Edwards Hall
Manhattan, KS 66506-4801
Phone (785) 532-6277 Fax (785) 532-6095
Visit us on the web at http://www.ksu.edu/hr/

Division of Human Resources   hr@ksu.edu   103 Edwards Hall  Manhattan, KS 66506-4801  (785) 532-6277
start of standard bottom bar
Home        Search        Directories        Calendar        Comments
Kansas State University
January 14, 2005