Processing Hourly Student Transactions for Summer
The exact beginning and ending dates of each semester and how these dates relate to student employment are available at Payroll and Employment Dates.
For employment during the summer, the person must meet one of the following requirements:
- Enrolled in no fewer than 6 hours in the past spring semester
- Enrolled in the summer semester for any number of credit hours
- Admitted to study in the upcoming fall semester.
Students with an F1 or J1 visa may only be employed during the summer semester if they have been enrolled in no fewer than six credit hours in the previous spring semester or are enrolled in any number of hours in the summer semester.
Hourly Student Appointment
- Submit an Hourly Student Data Sheet (PER-40) for hires and rehires. If the employee has prior KSU service or service with another State of Kansas agency, please indicate this in the Additional Comments section of the PER-40.
- We encourage departments to use the Template Based Hire function to hire new hourly students. After completing the template, the department liaison may download and print the PER-40. To learn more about Template Based Hire, see the Human Capital Services web page.
- In addition to the PER-40 supporting documents are required for hires and rehires. Examples of forms are the K-4 Form, Form I-9, Substance Abuse Policy, etc.
- An On-Campus Work Permit is required for J1 non-resident alien employees. Department HR liaisons should electronically request the work permit through the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS).
- For a rehire, please verify that both the student's address and the direct deposit information (if applicable) in HRIS are up-to-date. When a student terminates, this information is not deleted from HRIS unless the employee has been terminated on all employment records for more than one year.
- The Employee Oath must be completed and notarized for all new hires. For rehires the Employee Oath is not required unless they have been separated for a year or more.
- Those students who will not be working in the summer but will be returning to the same position for the fall semester, are allowed to remain on the department's payroll as long as another State of Kansas agency does not hire them during the summer
- Students who are graduating or will not be returning in the Fall may remain on the payroll until the week classes start
- To process student terminations, departments have access to enter an Appointment End Date (pdf).