1. K-State home
  2. »Human resources
  3. »Departmental liaisons
  4. »Personnel
  5. »Summer
  6. »Processing Hourly Student Transactions for Summer

Human Resources

Processing Hourly Student Transactions for Summer

Employment Dates

The exact beginning and ending dates of each semester and how these dates relate to student employment are available at Payroll and Employment Dates.

Employment Eligibility

For employment during the summer, the person must meet one of the following requirements:

  1. Enrolled in no fewer than 6 hours in the past spring semester
  2. Pre-enrolled in the upcoming fall semester in no fewer than 6 hours
  3. Enrolled in the summer semester for any number of credit hours
  4. Admitted to study in the upcoming fall semester.

Students with an F1 or J1 visa may only be employed during the summer semester if they have been enrolled in no fewer than six credit hours in the previous spring semester or are enrolled in any number of hours in the summer semester.

Hourly Student Appointment

  • Submit an Hourly Student Data Sheet (PER-40) for hires and rehires. Please indicate if the employee has prior KSU service or service with another State of Kansas agency
  • In addition to the PER-40 supporting documents are required for hires and rehires.
  • For a rehire, please verify that both the student's address and the direct deposit information (if applicable) in HRIS are up-to-date. When a student terminates, this information is not deleted from HRIS unless the employee has been terminated on all employment records for more than one year.


  • Those students who will not be working in the summer but will be returning to the same position for the fall semester, are allowed to remain on the department's payroll as long as another State of Kansas agency does not hire them during the summer
  • Students who are graduating or will not be returning in the Fall may remain on the payroll until the week classes start
  • To process student terminations, departments have access to enter an Appointment End Date (pdf).