Processing Graduate Student Transactions for Summer
Important Payroll Dates
Summer employment dates and semester dates are available at Payroll and Employment Dates.
For employment during the summer a graduate student must meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in three semester credit hours during the summer or
- Been enrolled in at least six credit hours the previous spring semester
If the student doesn't meet either of these criteria, they cannot begin employment until the start of the fall semester.
Graduate Student Appointment
- For graduate student employees being appointed for the first time or after a break in service of one day or more you will need to submit a Graduate Student Appointment Form (PER-41). Indicate if the employee has any prior KSU service or service with another State of Kansas agency.
- For rehires with no break in service you need to change the Appointment End Date (pdf) or submit a Change or Separation Form (PER-39).
- In addition to the PER-41, supporting documents are also required for hires and rehires.
Summer School Appointments - Graduate Teaching Assistants
- Individual Graduate Student Appointment Form (PER-41) are not required for summer school appointments if the person held a graduate student appointment during the preceding spring semester. The information provided by the colleges will be forwarded to HR for processing into HRIS. Individual appointment forms are only required on new Graduate Teaching Assistants.
Summer Appointments - Graduate Research Assistants
- For graduate student summer appointments, submit a Graduate Student Appointment Form (PER-41). No blanket listings will be accepted.
- To process terminations, departments may update the Appointment End Date (pdf). Terminations may also be processed by submitting a Change or Separation Form (PER-39) if the end of appointment date is different than that indicated at the time of appointment. Use Action "Termination" (TER) and Reason "End Temporary Appt" (ETM).