Graduate Student Appointment Form (PER-41)
Use Template Based Hire to produce the new hire PER-41
Fill out the Graduate Student Appointment Form (PER-41) (pdf)
The PER-41 is used to hire, rehire, or add a concurrent job for Graduate Student employees, it includes position and employee data on one form to minimize the paperwork.
The PER-41 is used for graduate student employees with the following Job Codes.
|Job Code||Job Title||FLSA Status|
|030500||Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA)||Exempt|
|032000||Graduate Research Assistant (GRA)||Exempt|
|031000||Graduate Assistant (GA)||Nonexempt|
Completing the Form
Name: List First Name, Middle Name or Initial, Last Name and Suffix (i.e. Jr., Sr., IV, etc.) of employee as noted on Social Security Card. NOTE: When doing a name search in HRIS you will need to enter the name using the standard name format: [last name] space [suffix] comma [first name] space [middle name or initial]. Mixed case.
- De Bowes,Larry L
- Jones IV,James
- Phillips MD,Deanna Lynn
- Reynolds Jr,John Q
SSN: This number should be copied from the employee's Social Security card. A copy of the card should be submitted with all appointment paperwork. Since the correct number is important to the employee's records, do not take the Social Security number from the employee based upon his or her memory. If the appointee does not have a Social Security number, he or she should make application at a local Social Security Office. Do not submit a PER-41 for graduate student employee until they have been assigned a number. They cannot be paid without a social security number.
Dept ID: A 10-digit number assigned to each department. The first five digits are "36700" followed by the five-digit Financial Record System (FRS) department number.
Dept Name: Official name of the department where the employee will work. The Department ID must match the Department Name.
eID: eIDs are "electronic IDs" on K-State's central computer systems.
Employee ID: An eleven digit identification number assigned to the employee when the employee is originally hired. Usually begins with a "W". If the employee worked for another state agency prior to coming to KSU, or if employed with KSU prior to 1995, the ID may have a different letter. Leave this field blank for new employees and it will be assigned by HRIS.
Rcd # (Employment Record Number): This is usually "0" for new hires. It is generally one less than the number of positions the employee holds. If an employee is currently active on Rcd 0 and being appointed to a second position, that number will be "1". If an employee has a Rcd 0 (active), Rcd 1 (inactive) and Rcd 2 (active), Rcd 1 should be used since it is the inactive record and available.
Marital Status: Identifies the employee's marital status.
|Head of Household|
Effective Date: The date the action takes effect. For a hire, this date should be the first day of work for the employee.
End of Appt Date: Date used to indicate end of appointment. Note: Termination effective date is the first day the employee is not at work.
Example: Last day at work is March 6 -- Effective date for termination is March 7 (first day employee is not at work)
- (Place an "X" in the box to indicate type of action.)
- Hire: Used for all new appointments (initial hires and rehires).
- Add Concurrent Job: Used when an employee has other active positions within HRIS. If an employee already has an existing position with another department or within a department and needs to be hired into an additional position, the employee will be assigned a concurrent position. Note: Total FTE for all graduate positions cannot exceed .5 (tenths) FTE.
- Correction/Supercede: Used to change data in the Human Resource Information System (HRIS) that is incorrect due to previous personnel transactions. Also use when superceding previous transactions.
Home Address [Local Address]
- Indicates the employee's address (street, rural route, post office box, city, county, state, zip code. Include zip +4, if available). This is where employees' W-2 information will be sent.
- Country: Will be USA unless a foreign address.
- Address 1 & Address 2, City: Indicate street address, apartment and/or box number, city of employee. For example Address 1: 1234 Sunset St Apt 2, Address 2: P O Box 1234 or leave blank. City: Manhattan. Refer to address abbreviations (xls).
- County: Identifies the two-digit county code of the home address. Refer to County Code Table (xls).
- State & Zip Code: Indicate two-digit state code and zip code of employee. For example State:KS Zip Code: 66502-1223
- Home Phone Indicates the 10-digit home phone (Local) number of employee.
Ethnic Groups (Mark all that apply)
- Identifies the ethnic group to which the employee belongs. You may ask the employee to which ethnic group he or she belongs in order to enter the appropriate code.
- American Indian or Alaskan Native
- Black or African American
- Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander
Gender: F=Female M=Male
Highest Education: Identifies the employee's highest education level.
|Level of Education|
|2-Yr Degree||Not Indicated|
|Bachelor's Degree||Post Doctorate|
|HS Grad||Some Grad|
|Less than High School||Tech Schl|
Birthdate: Employee's date of birth. Please use MMDDYY format.
Military Status: Identifies the military status of the employee. For a list of definitions refer to Military Status and Disabled Veteran's Definition
Citizenship Status: Identifies the employee's citizenship. If the employee is not a U.S. citizen please complete Visa Information and attach a Foreign National Tax Information Form.
- Alien Perm
- Alien Temp
Visa Type: If the employee is a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident leave this field blank. If the employee is not a U.S. citizen and is in this country under a visa authorizing employment, insert the type of visa from the following list. Certain types of visas limit the number of hours per week the individual may work. An On-Campus work permit from International Student and Scholar Services is required for visa holders. Those holding a F-2 (spouse of student) visa may not work.
|TN||Nafta Agreement (i.e. Canada or Mexico)|
Action Code: Identifies the personnel action affecting the employee. Example: The first time an employee is hired, Hire (HIR) will be used. For a complete list of actions refer to Action/Reason Codes (xls) and select the Graduate Students tab.
|ACTION CODE||REASON CODE||TYPE OF ACTION|
|Hir||Cnp||Add concurrent job|
|Reh||Reh||Rehire after break in service|
|Xfr||Eer||Transfer to new position with no break|
Position Number: An 8-digit position to which the employee is assigned. Employees must be placed in vacant (open) positions. It is recommended that vacant positions be reused whenever possible. If a new position needs to be added by HR, indicate "NEW" in the position number field.
FTE: Indicates tenths time of position. Graduate Research Assistants(GRA), Graduate Teaching Assistants(GTA) and Graduate Assistants(GA) must limit their total combined tenths time (FTE) to .5 on all graduate positions. Total FTE for all positions should not exceed .5 (tenths) FTE
Job Code/Job Title: Job Code and Job Title of position. Use 030500 for Graduate Teaching Assistant, 032000 for Graduate Research Assistant, or 031000 for Graduate Assistant.
Tax Location: This field is used for taxing jurisdiction in the payroll process. This is the state in which the employee works. For most employees at Kansas State University it will be Kansas. Notify payroll immediately if the employee's work location is outside of Kansas.
Biweekly Comp Rate: Biweekly rate employee is to be paid. (Used for GRA's and GTA's)
Appt Basis: Identifies whether graduate student is 9 month or 12 month. Place an "X" in the appropriate box.
Hourly Comp Rate: Hourly rate employee is to be paid. (Used for Graduate Assistants only)
Previous Employment: If the appointee has been previously or is currently employed by state or local government, or any other state agency including KSU, give agency name(s), date(s) of employment, and employee ID, if known.
Additional Information: Use this section for Additional information relevant to the transaction.
Funding Information: Provided for department use. Funding is updated on line by department personnel not HR staff.Employee Oath: All new hires must sign the employee oath in ink in the presence of a notary public before they may be placed on the payroll. After reading the oath aloud, the employee should sign the employee oath section of the Graduate Student Appointment Form (PER-41). The statement cannot be altered by the employee. The notary also signs the Employee Oath Section of the PER-41, completes the expiration information, and affixes his or her seal in the space provided. If a student employee has a break in service of one day or more it is not necessary to have the employee retake the oath upon reappointment. The initial oath on file can be used.
Tuition Waiver/Spoken English Competency: This section is to be completed on all new appointments for Graduate Teaching Assistants.
Spoken English Assessment: This section must be completed for all new GTA hires. For GTAs whose first language is not English mark the first option and submit a PER 20, Faculty and GTA Spoken English Competency Assessment Sheet with the appointment form. Graduate Teaching Assistants whose first language is not English must be interviewed by three institutional representatives, one of whom must be a student (undergraduate or graduate). In addition, a Test of Spoken English (TSE) or the Speaking Proficiency English Assessment Kit (SPEAK) or the internet based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT) is required. The GTA must have a minimum score of 50 on the TSE or SPEAK or a minimum speaking component score of 22 on the TOEFL iBT to be eligible for a teaching GTA appointment. If the GTA does not have adequate spoken English language competency or if minimum score is not achieved they must be appointed to a position that will not involve teaching responsibilities or other assignments with student contact. If the GTAs first language is English mark the second option.
- Employee's Signature: (Required on Hires) It is recommended that employee signatures be obtained on all personnel transactions whenever possible to ensure that the employee is aware of and understands the information that has been completed.
- Signature(s) of Unit or Department Head, Dean, and/or Vice President: Contingent upon internal procedures, the Unit or Department Head, and/or Dean, Vice President, etc., signs and dates the Graduate Student Appointment Form to signify approval of the appointment.