Worm Decontamination with Clorox
- From a plate with plenty opf eggs, wash off with M9 into a conical tube. Eggs may stick in bacterial lawn, so gently wipe plate with spatula to loosen.
- Spin down (I use speed "4" on ancient centrifuge, for about one minute). Resuspend in 2mls decontamination solution (see below).
- Let sit 6-10 minutes*, flicking the tube occasionally to break up worms.
- Pellet 4 minutes in centrifuge.
- Suspend in M9, pellet 1 minute.
- Remove supernatant, pipet eggs onto a plate with a Pasteur pipet.
*Use 10 mintes for grey slime – it is extra resistant.
Worm Decontamination Solution
5N NaOH 0.2ml 5ml 20ml
Clorox 0.4ml 10ml 40ml
M9 1.4ml 35ml 140ml
Total 2ml 50ml 200ml