1. K-State home
  2. »Graduate School
  3. »Faculty and staff
  4. »Graduate Handbook Changes

Graduate School

Graduate Handbook Changes

Approved 10/4/2016

Proposed Graduate Handbook Changes to Chapter 1. Admissions, Enrollment and Progress

Section B.  Entrance Requirements Item 2 Graduates of foreign colleges and universities English Proficiency

Renumber section and have English Proficiency as a separate section

B. 3. English Proficiency Requirements.

The Graduate School requires each applicant whose native language is not English to demonstrate competence in English language by achieving a satisfactory score (defined below) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Language Testing Systems (IELTS) or Pearson Test of English (PTE).  The TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE is required to ensure that the student’s progress toward a degree is not jeopardized by language barriers.  The TOEFL (K-State TOEFL school code 6334) is offered several times a year throughout the world by the Educational Testing, Princeton, New Jersey.  International applicants are advised to take TOEFL as early as possible to avoid delays in processing their applications. However, the test date should be no older than eighteen months from the application deadline.

Please note that any non-native English speakers, whether a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or international student, interested in a Graduate Teaching Assistantship must meet the speaking requirements as specified in Chapter 1, Section F.

Score Requirements


Minimum score

iBT TOEFL (internet based)






Pearson Test of English (PTE)


An applicant who does not meet the English Proficiency Requirements, if recommended for admission by a graduate program, will be admitted as a non-degree student. 

An applicant who has received a degree in the last two years from a college or university in the United States is exempt from this requirement.  Individual programs may have more stringent requirements for demonstration of English language proficiency.


New Policy for issuing of I-20s to international graduate students requires that students who have any conditions to their admissions must be admitted as a non-degree student and issued either an ELP Non-degree I-20 if they need to enroll in any EPT or full time English or a Non-degree department I-20 if they have not completed their degree or lack undergraduate prerequisite courses.  I-20 for non-degree will be issued for one year.

Once the student has met either the English requirements or completed the prerequisite courses, or shown proof of their degree completion, the International Students and Scholars office will issue a new I-20 as a degree seeking student.  If the student, passes the English Proficiency Test when they are arriving or provides evidence they have meet other admissions requirement, a New Affidavit of Financial support will not be required.  If they take more than one semester to complete requirements and financial documentation is more than 12 months old at the time the change of level/program is processed a new Affidavit of Financial Support will be required.

The Graduate School staff obtained data from the Big 12 and KBOR institutions.

The following universities require a total of 79 for the IBT TOEFL or 550 for paper based TOEFL (PBT):  Iowa State University, Oklahoma State University, Texas Tech University, the University of Texas at Austin, and the University of West Virginia.   Some graduate programs at these universities have higher scores required than the Graduate School.  University of Kansas’s English Proficiency is the same as our current one.

Dean Shanklin requested feedback from Dr. Earl Brown in Modern Languages.

Dr. Earl Brown provided the following feedback:

“While most often "first language" and "native language" are synonymous, I'd go with "native language." Many Americans learn a language other than English as their first language in the home, but then become dominant in English as they go through the educational system (in English) in the US, and in a sense become native speakers of English by adolescence, if not before that point. Asking an applicant who is dominant in English, despite the fact that that language isn't their first, seems unnecessary.”

Approved 10/4/2016

Graduate Handbook Changes to Chapter 1.  Admissions, Enrollment and Progress, Section B. Entrance Requirements Item 1

Graduates from colleges and universities in the United States

A bachelor’s degree from a college or university accredited by a regional or national institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.

Rationale:   The Graduate School is receiving several applications from students who have graduated from non-profit institutions, some of which are not accredited by any agency and biblical higher education institutions that are accredited by the Association for Biblical Higher Education that is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and accredited by the Commission on Accreditation.   We have been handling these admissions as exceptions.

The wording change is proposed to allow the admissions of qualified applicants who graduated from a college of university that is accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.  For a list of nationally recognized Accrediting Agencies please refer to the following website:  http://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/accreditation_pg6.html   

Approved 10/4/2016

Proposed Wording Change for Sequestration/Embargo Appendix B:  Dissertations, Theses, and Reports 


The purpose of an embargo is to delay for a limited time public dissemination of patentable or otherwise proprietary or sensitive materials.

Students will have the option of choosing to embargo their work when completing the KREx submission.   Doctorate students will also need to complete the embargo option when submitting to ProQuest.  An embargo should only occur when it is deemed necessary and only for the minimum time required.

To embargo, the student must set an embargo date and complete the justification during the submission of the ETDR to KREx.  At the end of the embargo date, the ETDR will be released by the Library and will be available online. 

An embargo does not delay the conferral of the degree. The student whose dissertation, thesis, or report has been approved to be embargoed still deposits the ETDR submission fee for graduation.

An embargo is normally limited to two years. Nevertheless, under compelling circumstances that require continued protection, the Dean of the Graduate School may approve further embargo at the student's or major professor's request on a year-by-year basis.  The student must send a letter requesting an extension of the embargo at least three months prior to the release date.  The letter should include a justification for the extension and a proposed release date.

Approved 11/1/2016

Proposed change to Chapter 1, B.2 Graduates of foreign colleges and universities. Remove the sentence “As a rule, students from abroad are not admitted to nondegree status (that is, as special students)”.

All international students admitted to the Graduate School must demonstrate the same level of achievement as U.S. students. That is, they must hold a degree from an established institution comparable to a college or university in the United States, have an outstanding undergraduate record, have the demonstrated ability to do graduate work, and provide evidence of language proficiency sufficient for the pursuit of a graduate degree. Admission may be denied to students from technical schools, which may provide excellent training in special areas, but do not offer degrees equivalent to those of colleges and universities. Questions about the qualifications of international students should be directed to the Graduate School.

Approved 11/1/2016

Proposed Addition to Chapter 1, section C. 5 Non-degree, International 

International applicants who are in the final year of their undergraduate degree (equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree) may be recommended for provisional admission by the graduate program to which they apply. In such cases, those students may be admitted to the graduate school as a non-degree graduate student.