Assistant General Counsel
Kansas State University invites applications for the position of Assistant General Counsel. The successful candidate will perform legal research, client counseling, internal dispute resolution, policy review and development, contract review and negotiation, legal presentations and training seminars, litigation, and other duties concerning the full array of legal issues arising in the context of higher education. The successful candidate will provide advice and representation to University administrators on issues including contracts, corporations, real estate, tax, intellectual property, employment matters, discrimination, constitutional rights, tort liability, immigration and other legal matters. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
- Law degree from an accredited law school
- 2 years of law practice
- Admission to practice in Kansas or eligibility to seek immediate admission
- Superior academic record
- Demonstrated research, writing and oral skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Initiative and intellectual curiosity
- Strong work ethic and professional integrity
- Ability to handle shifting priorities and multiple, demanding projects
- Excellent judgment, attention to detail, organization, timeliness
- Ability to relate well to University personnel
- Good skills as a team member
- Related work experience, such as substantial and focused experience in one or more of the following:
- Higher education law
- Government law
- Employment law (including FMLA, ADA, discrimination, and similar issues)
- Contract review and drafting (particularly for higher education, governmental or organizational clients)
- Transactional experience, including real estate and corporate transactions
Kansas State University is a public doctoral research institution with over 23,000 students and over 6,000 faculty and staff, located in the picturesque Flint Hills of northeastern Kansas, approximately 120 miles west of Kansas City. Manhattan is a city of over 50,000 offering an exceptional quality of living, with excellent schools and diverse cultural and social activities.
Applications are encouraged by February 1, 2013 and will be considered until the position is filled. Send cover letter, resume, law school transcript, names and contact information for at least three professional references, and a current writing sample via electronic mail to:
Cheryl G. Strecker
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: Kansas State University is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks diversity among its employees. A background check is required prior to hiring.