This page includes all of the text descriptions of buildings included in the campus tour.
Learn the history of each building on the KSU campus as you take our tour. This version includes pictures.
Click the corresponding letter to quickly navigate through the listing of buildings.
Ackert Hall was erected in 1970 on the old R.O.T.C. drill field. This large structure contains the administrative offices, laboratories, classrooms, and lecture rooms of the Division of Biology. It also houses the Center for Basic Cancer Research, Bioserve Space Technologies, and an electron microscope laboratory. Chalmers Hall was completed in November 2002 as an addition to Ackert Hall.
This building was erected to improve the facilities for basketball and indoor track events that were previously held in Nichols. It provides seating for events requiring up to 11,700 people and also served for indoor commencement before McCain Auditorium and Bramlage Coliseum were completed. In 1988, basketball games were moved to Bramlage and the building was refurbrished to be used for volleyball, track, tennis and various other activities. The Natatorium has three indoor pools.
This chapel seats just under 500 and was dedicated as "a memorial to the Kansas State men who made the supreme sacrifice in World War II and Korea." Exceptional care was taken in the design of the chapel to achieve proper acoustical balance for solo instruments and string quartets while assuring sufficient resonance for organ music. In 1961, a 40 rank, pipe organ was installed, one of the finest in the Midwest.
Danforth chapel, with its charming Gothic architecture, attracts visitors who appreciate its relaxing interior for a few minutes of quiet meditation. Its intimate proportions (seats sixty-five) also contributed to its popularity as a wedding chapel. The beautiful stained glass windows were donated and imported from Czechoslovakia, England, France, Gemany, and Italy.
The K-State Alumni Center houses the Association offices and offers meeting and banquet facilities for the university and community. Open to the public in October 2002, the 52,000 square-foot facility was funded entirely with private contributions by more than 1,300 donors. The Center is constructed of native Kansas limestone with K-State memorabilia displayed in the Memorabilia Room, as well as throughout the building. A high-tech room provides the latest in technology for state-of-the-art presentations.
Originally called the Practical Agriculture Building, it has housed a canteen, a barber shop, and a chapel. Once sheep borrowed from agriculture grazed on the front lawn to control dandelions in time for the 1917 commencement. An electronic carillon, in the tower installed in 1965, sound the hours.
The Marianna Kistler Beach Museum of Art opened its doors to the public on October 13, 1996. The museum was made possible by a gift of $3 million by alumni Ross and Marianna Beach of Hays, KS. The museum features local art and hosts K-State's permanent collection. Midwestern and local art is the theme of the art collection. With this local focus students can experience famous and well-known artists from Kansas and around the Midwest.
Bluemont Hall, completed in 1981, was named after the original Bluemont College. It houses the College of Education facilities. It also has modern research facilities, including animal quarters for the Department of Psychology.
Older than all of the other buildings on campus, the Bluemont Bell was cast and donated to Bluemont College by Joseph Ingalls in 1861. According to documents from the University archives, Bluemont Central College, originally located one mile west of K-State Campus was in need of a bell to call the students to class. Ingalls provided the $175 for the bell and shipping in exchange for having his name engraved on the side. The bell now stands in front of Bluemont Hall, a part of the rich K-State heritage.
The botanical gardens, which encompass about 12 acres of land, display various plants, trees, water fountains, herbs and flowers. The concept of the project began over 25 years ago. K-State had a garden area where Bluemont and Justin halls stand and when those buildings were constructed, plans began to take shape for a new garden area. The cottage serves as the fulcrum of the KSU Gardens, functioning as the visitor's center. It includes a gift shop, educational displays and public restrooms. The area in front of the cottage and conservatory are alive with various plants, trees and perennial flowers. Plans for futre additions include Phase II and Phase III of the KSU Gardens.
K-State Student Union Plaza, once known as the free-speech zone, will now be known as the Bosco Student Plaza, for Pat Bosco, dean of student life. Renovations on the KSU Student Union began spring of 1998 and the construction on the Union Plaza north of the Union was completed in November 2000. This area offers students a place to meet and organize, as well as take a break from their busy campus activities.
Built in 1988 and funded by student fees and private donations from alumni and friends of the University. The coliseum provides seating for 13,500 fans to watch the Wildcats play basketball and provides a multipurpose facility to hold trade shows, concerts, commencement and numerous other activities.
Burt Hall was designed in 1923 and originally provided facilities for clinical research, instruction and surgery on large animals as a veterinary clinic. This building was named in honor of Dr. Burt who was Head of the Department of Anatomy for many years. He joined the faculty in 1909 and served the Department of Veterinary Medicine for 37 years. The building was remodeled in 1946 following a fire, renovated again in 1959, and partially upgraded in 1981. It is currently used for research facilities.
Bushnell Hall was finished in 1949 and named after Dr. Leland D. Bushnell, the Head of the Department of Bacteriology starting in 1912. It has the offices and research labs for the Division of Biology.
Call Hall was created in 1963 for the Department of Animal Sciences and Industry in the areas of physiology, nutrition, food chemistry, and genetics. The second floor houses the offices for the Department of Forestry. In Call Hall there is a special classroom, conference room, and display cabinets for artwork associated with the poultry industry. Call Hall is also home to the famous Call Hall ice cream.
Calvin Hall was designed and erected in 1908 for $70,000, as the Domestic Science and Art Hall. The Department of Economics outgrew old Kedzie Hall and this department moved into Calvin Hall when it was completed. The building was remodeled in 1960 for the College of Business Administration when the College of Home Economics moved into Justin Hall. Calvin is still occupied by classrooms and offices of the College of Business Administration. This building was named in honor of Henrietta Willard Calvin who contributed her services to Kansas State College as Librarian and Professor of Domestic Science.
Several unusual facilities are available in this building including the James R. McDonald Laboratory, which houses a Tandem van de Graff accelerator, and atomic supercoducting linear accelerator and an EBIS source of highly ionized atoms, together with equipment for studying atomic collisions. A fully equipped planetarium permits students to view the location and movement of celestial bodies during various seasons. An astronomical observatory is located on the roof.
Chalmers Hall was completed in November 2002 as an addition to Ackert Hall, which housed most of the Division of Biology. The building is home to portions of the Departments of Biochemistry and Biology. Chalmers Hall is also home to 10 research laboratories from the Division of Biology, and houses the offices of the Terry C. Johnson Center for Basic Cancer Research.
This facility was built to upgrade chemistry and biochemistry research, teaching and library services. This facility is Phase I of a projected plan to upgrade research. Phase II, planned to contain classrooms, offices and additional library space is scheduled to be completed at a later date.
Embert H. Coles, Jr., former Head of the Department of Infectious Diseases was honored on June 4, 2000 when the Veterinary Medical Science Building became Coles Hall to recognize the more than thirty years that Dr. Coles served the college.
Built to provide facilities for Dairy Science and the dairy herd, the center building orginally contained laboratories and offices. The ground level of the central building provided milking facilities for the cattle. The building has been incorporated into Throckmorton Hall and now serves as a headhouse for the greenhouses and the botanical gardens.
Dickens Hall was established in 1908 and used by the Department of Horticulture, Botany, and Plant Pathology. The building used to have greenhouses in the back, but they were demolished to make room for the Chemistry/Biochemistry building. Currently, the Departments of Statistics and Geography occupy the building.
Houses the Regents Educational Communication Center which is the product of federal, state, and institutional efforts, to extend the resources of the state of Kansas to the midwest and the nation through use of communications technology. This facility for educational program production and distribution, contains six studios, an educational development laboratory, four editing suites a fixed KU-Band uplink, and numerous offices, conference rooms and special purpose centers.
The engineering complex is located over the old football practice field and was constructed in three phases. The external walls include solar glass designed to reflect 85% of the solar heat energy during the middle of the year, and allow absorption material behind the glass to collect solar heat energy during the winter months. This complex houses offices, classrooms, and laboratories for the departments of Chemical, Civil, Electrical, Industrial and Mechanical Engineering, and the Dean of the College. Durland Hall, Phase I, was completed in the summer of 1976 and named after Dean Merrill A. Durland (1949-1961). Rathbone Hall, Phase II, was completed in 1983 and named after Dean Donald E. Rathbone (1973-1997). Fiedler Hall, Phase III, was dedicated on September 9, 2000, and named after George Fiedler, Electrical Engineering classes of 1926 and 1934. A Phase IV is planned in the future to house Computer Science.
Dykstra Hall was constructed for Veterinary Medicine and was remodeled when the new Vet Med Complex was built in 1978 for the shops and offices of the Division of Facilities, who still occupy the building today.
Memorial Stadium was built to remember the students and graduates of the college who had fallen in battle in World War I. Dean Willard comments, "its towers and walls, built of beautiful native limestone, will present a structure of quiet strength that will harmonize with other buildings on the campus." The east stands were erected in 1924 for $45,000, a year after the west stands were built. The underside of the seating was exposed until 1928 when the stone walls and towers were erected on the east side for $37,000.
Edwards Hall was designed in 1968 to house 192 "Wildcat" athletes. It provided dining space, a swimming pool, recreational and weight-lifting facilities, lounges, and sleeping accommodations. In 1977 it was turned into general dormitory space. Since then it has been converted into administrative space housing the following offices.
This building was named for Dr. Milton Eisenhower, the ninth president of Kansas State University. Dr. Eisenhower was the only president of this university who was also an alumnus. The faculty of the Department of Architecture and Allied Arts completed the design and contract drawings under the direction of the State Architect.
The English / Counseling Services building, formerly Lafene Health Center, was dedicated February 25th, 2004. The English department moved to the basement and the first floor of the building Counseling services are located on the second floor of the building. Eighty percent of the English department faculty are now located in the building with the rest of the faculty to move in soon.
Fairchild Hall was built in 1894 for a "Library and Agricultural Science Hall". The Library was located in Fairchild until Farrell Library was built. Fairchild currently has office space for the Graduate School, Student Financial Aid, Planning and Evaluation Services, the Center for Aging, and computer labs. The bronze bust of William Alexander Harris, a "soldier, statesman, farmer, breeder", rests on a pedestal in front of this building.
Frank Myers Baseball Complex was built in 1961. Frank Myers was baseball coach in 1921, assistant athletic director from 1926 to 1948, and director of intramural sports from 1948 to 1962.
In 2002, the Tointon Family Stadium renovation was completed. The stadium is named for Betty Brammell Tointon (Class of 1955) and Bob Tointon (Class of 1955).
The Galichia Institute was created in 1994 for the Department of Gerontology and Family Studies. Kansas State University's Galichia Center on Aging coordinates and develops educational and training programs in aging, stimulates aging research, coordinates outreach activities, and serves as a referral center for information on aging resources in Kansas.
The Center on Aging faculty are committed to programs of education, training, outreach, and research, which address general issues of aging and seek solutions to the challenges of aging in rural areas and small towns. Students, both graduate and undergraduate, may emphasize gerontology/aging regardless of their primary major or discipline. Most gerontology courses are offered through faculty in disciplinary departments throughout the university.
The original building was designed in a "collegiate Gothic" style to recall the architecture of building on the campuses of Oxford and Cambridge campuses and many other campuses of the 1920's. Kansas State University has been one of the designated depositories for government publications since 1907. The library was expanded, renovated and rededicated on October 5, 1997, at this time renamed Hale Library.
This gate is a memorial for Mr. and Mrs. Scott N. Higinbotham. The design for the entry gate originated from a student competition, won by Marcia K. Bascom. This site is located at the intersection of North Manhattan Avenue and Anderson Avenue. The flagpole and spotlights were contributed in memory of Helen R. McIntosh. Many other groups and companies also contributed labor and materials to complete this project.
Hoeflin Stone House Child Care Center is located on the north side of campus on North Manhattan Avenue. The two-story house and architect-designed playground provide space for two groups of children -- toddlers, ranging in age from 18 months to 3 years, and preschoolers, aged 3 to 5 years. Children who are eligible by age to enter kindergarten are not eligible for the program. The toddler group accommodates 12 children, and 18 children are enrolled in the preschool program. The center is accreditated by the National Academy of Early Childhood Programs.
The rugged stone work, low semicircular arched entrance, and turrets are typical of the revival of Romanesque forms so popular in the second half of the 19th century. Holton Hall was first used for agricultural and dairy classes and later also housed vocational technology, physics and electrical engineering, education, and psychology. In 1989 the interior of the building was totally renovated for Student Services.
The light fixtures in Anderson Plaza in front of Holtz, a gift of the class of 1913, were taken from the exterior of Nichols after the fire. Before a fire in 1900, a cupola was larger and it was flanked by a row of windows forming a clearstory at the ridge of the roof for ventilation. This building housed chemistry, a women's gymnasium, mathematics and counseling services prior to 1963 when it was renamed Holtz Hall in honor of "Doc" Holtz who provided counseling and assistance to help students obtain jobs, loans and solve personal problems.
The International Grains Program Conference Center is located at 1980 Kimball Ave. Costing $4 million and 20,000 square feet in size, the building is an improvement from previous facilities that were located in the Waters Annex. IGP hosts international guests who are either already buyers or potential buyers to teach them in a short course about IGP's grain products. The Bioprocessing and Industrial Value-Added Center also has been constructed. The next to be built will be the Flour Mill. Lastly, the Feed Mill and the Teaching Research, Baking and Administration buildings will be constructed.
This building contains offices, a lounge, meeting rooms and a kitchen and provides international students at K-State with a comfortable, relaxed atmosphere where they can share cultures, traditions, recipes, language lessons, and their common concerns for what is happening in today's world.
Justin Hall was built in 1960 for research and teaching in the College of Human Ecology. It was the first centrally air-conditioned building on campus. It currently has facilities for Clothing, Textiles and Interior Design, Human Development and Family Studies, Foods and Nutrition, Restaurant and Institutional Management, and Dietetics.
Kedzie Hall became the first building in the United States designed primarily for home economics when it was built in 1899. The art department resided on the second floor, domestic science on the first floor, and a cafeteria in the basement. At present, the A.Q. Miller School of Journalism and Mass Communications and the Department of Political Science reside within Kedzie.
King Hall was built in 1966 with laboratories, demonstration rooms, classrooms, and offices for the Department of Chemistry. Recently, it was connected to the Chemistry/Biochemistry Building. King was built to accommodate the Department of Chemistry which outgrew Willard Hall.
Lafene Health Center on the KSU campus was completed in 1960 to be used for outpatient and referral services for KSU students. Lafene Health Center moved in 2003 from its on-campus location to a new home at Mercy Regional Health Center,1105 Sunset Avenue. The square footage Lafene now occupies is about the same as at the campus location and all services are on one floor at the Sunset Avenue location, instead of the three floors they occupied before. The former Lafene Health Center located on the KSU campus is now known as the English/Counseling Services building.
Leasure Hall was completed in 1908 and originally designed to provide facilities for Veterinary Medicine and the Department of Bacteriology. Currently is home to Women's studies and Ethnic studies in addition to having laboratories for the Division of Biology and offices for Speech Pathology.
McCain Auditorium was flexibly designed in 1970 with acoustically and seating adjustable facilities. The ceiling of the auditorium can be lowered to cut off the balcony, reducing the seating from 1800 to 900. A three story addition to the east provides instructional, rehearsal, and storage rooms for the Department of Music. In the basement there is a seismograph for the Department of Geology.
The Military Science building was finished in 1943, being the only building completed during World War II on campus. This building houses the Department of Military Science. There are offices for Army and Air Force administration personnel, classrooms, and a "gallery" for rifle practice and contests.
Jacob E. Mosier, formerly the Head of Surgery and Medicine and hospital director, was honored on April 23, 1999. The Veterinary Clinic Sciences Building was renamed Mosier Hall recognized Dr. Mosier's dedication and service to the college since 1945.
Originally a gym. At the beginning of this century it was appropriate to design buildings used by ROTC, as Nichols was, to resemble a medieval fortress. "The Castle" burned in the 1960's and was beautifully rebuilt in 1985. The mural in the lobby is dedicated to the students who worked to preserve the building. Nichols was once the home of KSAC, K-State's public radio station (now KKSU located in McCain Auditorium). The radio towers (1924) to the west are national historical monuments.
Pat Roberts Hall, named after U. S. Senator Pat Roberts, was completed in 2007 and is home to the Biosecurity Research Institute. Specialized biocontainment capabilities provide safe and secure laboratory spaces to carry out diverse collaborative research activities that are designed to address biological threats and protect agriculture and preserve public health. The facility supports unique food security, crop and animal disease research programs, and houses an exceptional training and education capacity. Pat Roberts Hall and the Biosecurity Research Institute are administered through the Office of the Vice President for Research.
This building was constructed in 1980 at a cost of $3.3 million, which was raised entirely from student fees. The center was named after Chester E. (Chet) Peters who served as Vice President for Student Affairs. The building was renovated in 1995 for a total cost of $8.2 million. This complex provides racquetball courts, basketball courts, a weight/fitness area, combatives area, aerobic/multipurpose room, running tracks, video lounge, service area and administrative offices for the Recreation Services.
Erected in 1967 for $851,000 this structure encloses the facilities for the director, his assistants and personnel responsible for the administration of residence halls and Jardine Terrace. All food for the dormitories is stored and distributed from the freezers, refrigerators and dry storage space in this unit. The building was named in honor of Dr. Martha S. Pittman who served as Head of the Department of Food Economics and Nutrition from 1923 to 1946.
Replacing an 1882 power house in the shop area north of Seaton Hall, the Power Plant was built to generate light, heat and power. The building houses Facilities Services (Custodial and Grounds), Utilities Systems, and Photo Services. The utilities function operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year providing heat, cooling, electricity and steam to our campus.
The President's Residence was built in 1922 for $29,391. Its rugged stone walls, steeply pitched roofs and informal composition recall some of the characteristics of English country houses. It has recently been remodeled to upgrade its equipment and complete necessary structural repair.
Thousands of architectural and engineering graduates remember the long hours spent in this building. Facilities for the Institute for Environmental Research are also located in this complex. This is the oldest building on our campus and until Throckmorton was expanded the largest.
This building was erected to replace the Milling Department destroyed by a disastrous fire in 1957. The efforts of this department include improving the milling and baking quality of wheat.
This diverse facilities housed here include theaters, art gallery, bookstore, food service areas, recreation area, information desk, legal services, student government, copy center, meeting rooms, ballroom, bank facilities, and ID center. This building is the hub of student and faculty social activities on the campus and enlarges and changes to meet these growing needs. The complex operates with the income it produces plus student fees. A Student Governing Board assists the Director in forming policy decisions. The union is undergoing significant renovation beginning in the summer of 1998 and will be complete in one year.
This building was originaly built for instruction in institutional management. A cafeteria and tea room were included on the second floor. The semicircular arched windows, low pitched hipped roof, and details of the colonnaded entrances were inspired by villas of the Italian Renaissance Classrooms, laboratories and faculty offices of the Department of Geology are now located in this building.
Throckmorton was finished in 1981 and replaces the outdated facilities in Waters Hall. It expands the research facilities for many departments. It currently houses the departments of Agronomy, Plant Pathology, Entomology, and Horticulture. There are greenhouses for the departments of Entomology and Horticulture.
Don M. Trotter, former Dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine, was honored on January 31, 1986 at a campus building renaming ceremony when the Veterinary Medicine Teaching Building became Trotter Hall in recognition of his 30 years of service to the college.
The Director for Extension and numerous extension programs, plus a library for extension publications, meeting rooms and a 450 seat auditorium make up Umbergers primary function.
The Vanier Football Complex includes the KSU Football Stadium, offices, coaches' facilities, dressing and training rooms, locker rooms, and weight training facilities. The KSU Football Stadium was built in 1968 to replace the Old Memorial Stadium, and the rest of the complex was built starting in 1972.
Ward Hall contains shops, labs, offices, and classrooms for teaching and research in nuclear engineering. The left wing was completed in 1962 and the right wing in 1972. Research labs include nuclear fuel processing, neutron activation analysis, gamma ray spectroscopy, radiation effects on material, environmental radiation, and heat transfer. Ward also houses the TRIGA Mark II reactor.
Waters Hall was completed in 3 stages: the east wing was completed in 1913, the west wing in 1923, and the center of the building in 1952 to connect the two wings. The building was intended to group the Department of Agronomy, Animal Husbandry, Dairy Husbandry, Poultry Husbandry, Agriculture Economics, and Milling into one building. Currently, Agriculture Economics, Agronomy, Economics, Entomology, Sociology, Anthropology and Social Work, and Horticulture and Forestry share the building.
Weber Hall was established in 1957 for the Department of Animal Sciences and Industry. It contains Weber Arena and has specialized research and teaching laboratories primarily in the meats area. There are also labs for reproductive psychology. A renovation in 1988 was named after Dr. Don L. Good.
Weber Arena was built in 1957 and seats 3,000 people. It is used primarily for instruction, livestock shows, and demonstrations. The crowded trophy cases in the lobby attest to the success of the livestock judging teams.