At the beginning of this century it was appropriate to design buildings used by ROTC, as Nichols was, to resemble a medieval fortress. "The Castle" burned in the 1960's and was beautifully rebuilt in 1985. The mural in the lobby is dedicated to the students who worked to preserve the building. Nichols was once the home of KSAC, K-State's public radio station (now KKSU located in McCain Auditorium). The radio towers (1924) to the west are national historical monuments. Nichols Hall is home to the Department of Communication Studies, Theatre and Dance as well as the Department of Computing and Information Sciences.